About the Role
The Director will drive Amnesty International’s ambitious plans to grow the human rights movement in Taiwan. (S)he will promote an organizational vision for substantially increasing Amnesty International’s profile and presence in Taiwan that inspires staff, volunteers, members, donors, partners, and potential supporters of AI Taiwan.
The Director will lead AI Taiwan’s contribution to the strategic direction of the global Amnesty International movement through a solid programme of fundraising, campaigning, communications, mobilization and activism. (S)he will develop and implement strategies, plans and budgets for human rights impact in-country and globally, delivered by a strong and stable Amnesty International presence in Taiwan.
Key focuses of the Director’s role are to expand AI Taiwan’s human rights impact, to secure the financial self-sufficiency of AI Taiwan, and to create a more collaborative team for AI Taiwan. Working closely with AI Taiwan’s Fundraising Manager, Campaign Manager, and with the International Secretariat, the Director will further the growth strategy to meet AI Taiwan’s goals. (S)he will take the responsibility to manage risks and conflicts with strong confidence.
The Director will collaborate closely with the East Asia Regional Office, other International Secretariat offices, and the global Amnesty movement to promote a culture of engagement across the movement to model One Amnesty and its benefits. The Director will report to the Board of AI Taiwan and the East Asia Regional Director.
• Develop and lead the strategic direction, operational objectives and financial plan aligned with movement’s priorities and planning/monitoring/evaluation cycle, in consultation with the International Secretariat and Board of AI Taiwan
• Maintain a strategic overview of human rights, social, political and economic developments in the country, including civil society developments, to identify strategic opportunities and risks
• Promote an organizational culture that celebrates integration, inclusiveness, innovation and quality and implement an AI values-based behavior framework
• Recruit, develop and manage the performance of staff, in compliance with local employment law, to ensure that plans are delivered on time and according to Amnesty International’s quality standards
• Implement a multi-year growth strategy for Amnesty International Taiwan to deliver agreed fundraising targets, including through individual donor recruitment, retention and development strategies, and potential major funders
• Monitor and analyze fundraising activities against agreed targets and take appropriate actions to build on success and manage risk; ensure compliance with all relevant fundraising regulations and legal issues as they relate to donor fundraising activities in Taiwan
• Ensure AI Taiwan delivers strategic communications that provides compelling, urgent and emotive stories to enable recruitment and development of individual donors, members, and activists
• Oversee financial systems and practices, ensuring financial management, budget preparation, monitoring and quarterly reporting are all performed effectively to inform good quality financial analysis and decisions
• In coordination with the East Asia Regional Office Director and Chair of AI Taiwan, represent AI Taiwan externally including with the media
• Provide written, verbal and financial reports to the International Secretariat and the Board of AI Taiwan as requested and ensure that the Board of AI Taiwan remains fully informed about the AI Taiwan’s affairs
• Actively participate in a biannual review of working relationships with the International Secretariat and with the Board of AI Taiwan
• Lead an annual performance review process for all AI Taiwan staff, and actively participate in an annual personal performance review of progress against agreed targets and indicators
• Responsible for overall health, and safety and security of the office and staff
Skills and Experience
• The human rights and socio-political-economic context in Taiwan
• Amnesty International values, mission and policy positions
• Approaches to strategic thinking and strategy development, and translating strategic concerns goals into operational plans
• Organizational development, managing organizational growth and change processes
• A wide range of fundraising or marketing techniques and activities
Skills And Experience:
• Minimum 3 years of experiences working at senior level leadership or multi-project coordination level in domestic or international not for profit organizations
• Strong people and conflict management skills to facilitate internal relationships between internal departments and with staff, volunteers, board members, and members
• Good communication and coordination skills to negotiate complex relationships with external stakeholders including donors, partner organizations, media and government officials
• Experience in participatory and inclusive approaches to management, with the ability to listen and learn from diverse perspectives
• Financial management including setting multi-year budgets, financial monitoring and analysis, and financial reporting
• Demonstrated experience speaking to and cultivating relationships with supporters, media, donors and partner organizations
• Exemplary internal and external communication skills, both oral and written
• Fluency in English and Mandarin is essential; other Taiwanese languages would be advantageous
Personal Qualities and Attributes:
• Personally credible, with a professional demeanour, sound judgment and integrity that generate the trust and confidence of staff and external stakeholders
• Self-motivated and results-driven; demonstrated ability to inspire and motivate others
• Excellent interpersonal and conflict management skills and the ability to relate to internal and external contacts at all levels
• Copes well with ambiguity and uncertainty
• Readiness to report and be accountable
• Commitment to individual and organizational learning and innovation
About the Organisation
Apply for this Job
For details concerning this role, please contact
Email : email@example.com
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Country Director via Pro Bono Australia.