About the Role
About the role:
The Centre is seeking a leader and executer to join our organisation.
The Director is charged with advancing the vision and mission of The Centre. The Committee has delegated responsibility for the day to day operation of The Centre to its Director. The current Director is Mr. Michael J Halls.
The Centre’s programs and activities include educational programs, community activities and events. We are both a Neighbourhood House[i] and a Learn Local Organisation[ii]. The Centre’s Director is responsible for oversight of all aspects of The Centre’s management, administration and service delivery. This includes stewardship, planning, strategic alliances, marketing, policies, funding and fundraising, programming, financial controls, budgeting, human resources, workplace health and safety, projects and events.
We invite individuals to apply who possess the ability to be able to make decisions and solve problems based on sound knowledge and previous experience in program development and management. This is an exciting opportunity where your knowledge skills and expertise combine with our vision to create and implement solutions for our future.
Ideally, you will be a self starter with energy and enthusiasm, results driven and have a professional background in one or more of our service focuses. Alternatively you could be an experienced individual who has built teams and grown your own business and would like to share this with like minded community sector partners.
Terms and Conditions:
A five year fixed term contract exists for a professional to lead The Centre. The contract may be renewable subject to funding and agreement on a further period of re appointment.
The position reports to the management committee of The Centre through its Chairman. The role involves both internal and external communications.
The Centre is open to discuss either a fractional full time or full time appointment. The position has an expected minimum workload of 50 hours per fortnight. Normal hours of duty however will be flexible depending on The Centre requirements.
From time to time the Director may need to work outside their scheduled working pattern and at different locations in a “no office, hot desking” environment (TIL provisions apply).
A competitive salary will be negotiated with the successful applicant within the Education Services (Post Secondary Education) Award. Other terms and conditions will be consistent with the Neighbourhood Houses and Adult Community Education Centres Agreement.
As stated above The Centre’s Director is responsible for oversight of all aspects of The Centre’s management, administration and service delivery and in particular its
- Organisational development and leadership
- Business development, financial management and fundraising
- Community engagement and development
- Human resources
- Marketing including promotion:
- Policy and planning
- Adult Further Education delivery
- Corporate governance and
- General administration.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- A proven track record of progressively responsible experience
- Strong staff management and financial management
- Working well and communicating with people at all levels
- Creative and innovative marketing action
- Report and submission writing and presentations
- Strong organisational, change management and negotiation skills
- Roles in which you wear many hats and work in a highly collaborative environment
- Accuracy and detail orientation with a bias for action and management of multiple projects and priorities
- Experience in innovation with a predisposition to challenge and reinvent
- Resolution of problems and service issues
- Working independently
- Building positive relationships with a range of stakeholders.
- Tertiary qualification in a relevant discipline.
- Related experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications for example in the development, implementation and management of community-based programs.
- Five or more years experience
- Strong computer/ information technology literacy
- High level interpersonal, consultative, written and oral communication skills and the ability to work effectively in a team and autonomously
- Current Driver’s license
- A clear National Police Check and Working with Children Check (WWCC).
About the Organisation
The Centre is a not-for-profit incorporated charity headquartered in Errol Street in the heart of North and West Melbourne and delivering over several locations. The Centre has operated for over 41 years having celebrated 40 years of service to the North and West Melbourne Community in 2016. The Centre continues to be proudly run by a loyal and committed team of volunteers and paid staff. The Centre’s members and clientele cover a diverse range of individuals and organisations, exemplifying the richness of the local community. Our programs and activities respond to the needs of the North and West Melbourne community and beyond, providing an accessible and inclusive agenda which fosters belonging and community spirit, reduces social dislocation and ultimately improves the wellbeing of the community’s members. The Centre works closely with other community partners and local associations and is supported by funding and goodwill from the community, government and non-government organisations.
We are an Incorporated Association registered with Consumer Affairs Victoria and a charity registered with the Australian Charities and Not for Profit Commission. The members of the association comprise individuals that have been active participants in any of the activities run by The Centre and supporters from the local community.
The Centre believes in social justice, equal access to opportunities, and the valuing of all people’s contribution. The Centre aims to work towards and support inclusive, vibrant and resilient urban village communities in North and West Melbourne, to creatively strengthen and support community life for individuals, groups and organizations in order to achieve a stronger, safer and progressively more inclusive community. Through engagement with the community and being responsive to its needs, the Centre will be able to increase opportunities and develop initiatives that foster cultural and community life.
The Centre is an active member of the INC Education Advisory & Support Service Co-operative Limited
We are pursuing closer organisational ties with North Melbourne Language and Learning Inc.
Apply for this Job
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Director via Pro Bono Australia.