About the Role
- Join the leading voice for public education in Australia
- Advocate and protect the interests of members in industrial matters
- Attractive remuneration package & benefits; Abbotsford location
Reporting to the Branch Secretary, you will work as part of a team of industrial officers to advance and protect members’ interests in Courts and industrial tribunals. You will manage a case load that requires a high level of attention to detail and contribute to strategic industrial policy development.
Specifically you will, among other things:
- Run industrial litigation in federal courts (in conjunction with leading external barristers and solicitors);
- provide advice to members and negotiate with employers as required;
- Advocate for members who have been terminated;
- Run disputes in the Fair Work Commission;
- Together with leadership, advise and assist in enterprise bargaining across the AEU’s sectors;
- Provide relevant training;
- Provide advice to the Branch on compliance-related matters.
To be considered for this position, you will have extensive experience working in a similar position in addition to;
- Detailed knowledge of the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth) and industrial and employment law
- Significant experience in running proceedings in the Fair Work Commission and federal courts;
- Experience in enterprise bargaining;
- Understanding of gender and employment issues
Ideally, you will hold an unconditional practising certificate.
Part time work arrangements will be considered for the right candidate.
About the Organisation
AEU Victoria is the Victorian branch of the Australian Education Union – the federal union for teachers, principals, support staff and all educators working in public education.
With over 185,000 members nationally and over 50,000 members in Victoria, the AEU is proud to work for people who have one of the most important jobs in the country and advocate for quality public education accessible to all.
Apply for this Job
If you have a strong commitment in advocacy and to public education and unionism, then please click apply, submitting your resume and covering letter in MS Word format to quoting reference #34225 or phone Emma Naglieri on 03 8319 4080 for further information.
Please quote in application: Industrial Officer via Pro Bono Australia.