About the role
Nonprofit Executive-level salary, open to flexible working arrangements, generous conditions.
This is a permanent position, based in Sydney.
Please apply by 12pm Monday 2 July.
GetUp is looking for a savvy, progressive and experienced lawyer to join the team as General Counsel.
At GetUp, we know our capacity to drive progressive change is increased when our team has a diversity of backgrounds and experience. We are always actively looking for applicants from a diverse range of genders, cultures, language groups, abilities, and experiences to apply.
Reporting to the National Director, you will have:
– At least 6 years’ post admission experience and a current practising certificate;
– Significant experience within a general corporate practice at a mid or top tier firm, or as an in house lawyer at a not for profit, union or medium-sized company;
– Understanding of and substantive experience in general commercial law, including contracts, compliance and risk management;
– Working knowledge of and ability to advise in defamation law, copyright law and workplace law;
– Demonstrated experience running files independently, advising clients directly and working within teams;
– Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills;
– Great problem solving skills and the ability to provide practical legal advice within the context of a broader organisational strategy;
– A commitment to GetUp’s mission to build a fair, flourishing and just Australia, and to our values of economic fairness, human rights, environmental sustainability and participatory democracy
Great if you also have:
– Experience interacting with government regulators;
– Experience in electoral law or privacy law;
– A strong understanding of and the ability to carry out the role of a company secretary
Some things you might do in a typical day:
– Advise campaigners on whether their communications are within the lines of defamation and copyright law or on how to properly authorise electoral communication;
– Review or re-negotiate contracts, or resolve contractual disagreements, with campaigning and corporate partners;
– Advise the National Director on employment law obligations in the restructuring of a team;
– Advise the Board on legal aspects of emerging cyber risks;
– Work with the National Director and external lawyers to manage government reviews, inquiries and committees
If even a couple of these criteria speak to you, you could be the perfect person for the job.
Please apply by 12pm Monday 2 July
About the organisation
The GetUp movement is powered by the values and hopes of one million members and a central team of expert strategists. Together, we do whatever it takes to make extraordinary impact.
We focus our campaigns on the areas our members care about most in the fields of Environmental Justice, Human Rights, Economic Fairness and Democratic Integrity. From making sure hundreds of thousands of people are able to vote in elections, to successfully stopping major projects threatening the Great Barrier Reef, or securing billions of dollars in new funding for mental health – we have a decade-long history of taking on powerful interests, and winning.
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: General Counsel via Pro Bono Australia.