About the Role
- Advocate quality teaching and learning for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Develop strategies to increase the participation and engagement of ATSI people in education
- Leading union voice in campaigning for quality public education
Your focus will be to identify, research, campaign and advocate in relation to issues relating to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander education. Your responsibilities will include:
- Developing and nurturing relationships with the ATSI community
- Advancing the policy objectives of the AEU, particularly in relation to ATSI education
- Fostering positive relationships between ATSI members and non-indigenous members
- Representing the AEU in forums including government, committees, AEU Branches and associated bodies
You are an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person who identifies and is recognised within your community with proven experience in a similar role. Ideally you have a working knowledge of and commitment to public education and the union movement. Additionally you can demonstrate:
- An understanding of policy issues affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- Ability to work as part of a team and to consistently consult and report appropriately
- Capacity to engage in research, propose strategic solutions and prepare reports/submissions
- Experience working collaboratively and building relationships with stakeholders at all levels
- High level written, verbal and influencing skills
About the Organisation
The Australian Education Union (AEU) is the federal union for teachers, principals, support staff and all educators working in public education.
The AEU is proud to represent workers who have one of the most important jobs in the country. With over 185,000 members nationally, the AEU provides support both industrially and professionally and advocates for quality public education for all Australians.
The AEU campaigns and lobbies for fairer funding and resourcing for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander (ATSI) students from pre to post school education.
Benefits & Culture
- Generous salary and superannuation contribution
- 5 weeks annual leave plus leave loading
Apply for this Job
If you’re inspired to work toward achieving educational equality for indigenous Australians, please click apply, submitting your resume and cover letter responding to the skills required in MS Word format quoting reference #33878. Alternatively please contact Emma Naglieri on 03 8319 4080.
Please quote in application: Indigenous Education Advisor via Pro Bono Australia.