About the Role
- Work towards a more equal Australia which is free of poverty
- Politically charged, fast paced technical role representing a leading national peak body
- Advise and work alongside Australia’s foremost high-profile CEO in the social services sector
Working closely with and reporting to the highly respected and fast paced CEO Cassandra Goldie, this role is truly dynamic, responding to policy developments affecting people on low incomes, the broad interests of ACOSS members and the 24 hour news cycle. You will be Cassandra’s primary contact for journalists and media outlets so will always need to be one step ahead of the game creating opportunities, appearances, media releases and writing compelling stories. You will be expected to work irregular hours with occasional travel.
You will also work strategically with the executive and policy team including the directors of policy and advocacy, business development and stakeholder engagement to:
- Lead the implementation of the media and communications strategy including the production of an annual operational plan
- Advise on media and communication campaigns ensuring maximum impact in influencing policy, reducing poverty and inequality
- Advise on the best practice approach to public and member events, business development and media monitoring
Known as a political junkie with an interest in social policy and a drive to create a fairer, more inclusive and sustainable Australia, you have significant media, communications or public relations experience developed in politics, the media, NGO sector or like-minded corporates.
You have an in-depth demonstrated understanding of the media with a large portfolio of placed stories, excellent writing and liaison skills and a strong network of media contacts. Ideally your experience includes:
- Advocacy campaigns and an understanding of the political environment
- Strategic communications research and polling projects
- Media and stakeholder management experience
- Developed decision making skills and political judgment
- The ability to work under high pressure and juggle competing demands
About the Organisation
The Australian Council of Social Service (ACOSS) is a national advocate for action to reduce poverty and inequality and the member driven national peak body for the community services sector. ACOSS’s vision is for a fair, inclusive and sustainable Australia where all individuals and communities can participate in and benefit from social and economic life.
ACOSS acts as an independent, non-party political voice, leading and supporting initiatives within the community services and welfare sector. ACOSS also develops and promotes socially and economically responsible public policy and action by government, community and business.
ACOSS revenue comes from a combination of government funding, membership fees, partnerships and donations.
Apply for this Job
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Director of Media and Communications via Pro Bono Australia.