About the Role
The ABA Constitution provides the Board to appoint up to 3 appointed Directors to the Board. With two appointed director vacancies, ABA is seeking two Directors to join a diverse and active Board as we continue to evolve and grow to advocate for a breastfeeding inclusive society and increase breastfeeding rates. The term for an appointed director is 2 years, with the opportunity for re-appointment.
Non Executive Directors
As a Non-Executive appointed Director you would be expected to:
- Align with the mission, vision, and values of ABA
- Have the time to commit to Board meetings (4 per year in Melbourne and 6–12 teleconference and Board sub-committee meetings) and represent the Board at ABA events
- Be accountable to the ABA community, staff, volunteers and wider community for the effectiveness, integrity and viability of the organisation
- Have a strong understanding of governance roles, duties, obligations and responsibilities • Ability to prioritise, meet deadlines and be well organised
- Have strong communication and interpersonal skills, along with the ability to operate within a collaborative team environment.
We are seeking individuals with skills and experience across the following areas:
- RTO compliance experience
- Human resources experience
- Public relations and communications
- Risk management, compliance and not for profit governance experience
- Ability to be proactive and strategic, with a national focus.
- Preferably prior experience as a non-executive director.
About the Organisation
The Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA) is Australia’s largest breastfeeding information and support service. Breastfeeding is a practical, learned skill and ABA helps more than 80,000 mothers each year. ABA also provides up-to-date information and education for thousands of health professionals working with mothers and babies.
ABA was founded in 1964 by six Melbourne mothers as the Nursing Mothers’ Association, with the aim of helping and supporting other mothers to breastfeed. This mother-to-mother support continues today.
Through a range of services, ABA supports and encourages women who want to breastfeed or provide breastmilk for their babies and advocates to raise community awareness of the importance of breastfeeding and human milk to child and maternal health. Services include membership for both mothers and health professionals, a 24-hour Breastfeeding Helpline, an informative website with over 2 million unique visitors last year, local support groups, antenatal classes, a workplace program and numerous print and digital resources.
More than 350,000 Australians have been members since ABA started in 1964.
ABA is a Registered Training Organisation offering nationally-recognised courses. Volunteers are trained in a Certificate IV in Breastfeeding Education and we currently have around 1100 trained volunteer breastfeeding counsellors and community educators who provide ABA’s services to the community, to new mothers and to health professionals.
The organisation is a not-for-profit, registered charity with the ACNC, company limited by guarantee.
Apply for this Job
For details concerning this role, please contact
Phone : 03 9690 4620
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Non-Executive Director via Pro Bono Australia.