About the Role
An opportunity exists for an experienced manager to lead and manage the NDS operations in Queensland.
The State Manager provides leadership to influence public policy and programs, develop and disseminate information and provide networking opportunities that support NDS members in their work to uphold the interests, well-being and rights of people with disability as the sector transitions to the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).
The State Manager will work as part of a cohesive national organisation to grow membership, secure financial resources and deliver value to members.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Develop, lead and coordinate major policy initiatives, key projects and member support initiatives
- Oversee manage and deliver policy projects, state budget submissions and submissions for legislative and regulatory reform
- Attract appropriate financial resources from membership, Government and other sources (consistent with NDS National Policies and Strategic Directions) to ensure efficient operations of NDS
- Provide high quality information and support to member organisations in relation to public policy, service delivery, management, governance and operations
- Initiate research and document key issues facing the local disability field as well as contribute to the national policy agenda
- Represent NDS and the interest of members on consultative and other bodies as required
- Undertake advocacy work and networking with government and other relevant bodies on public policy issues
- Manage the administration and finances of the Queensland operation consistent with the requirements of the office of the Financial Controller, and in concert with established NDS national policies, procedures and operational guidelines as amended from time-to-time
- Organise or assist in organisation of members’ meetings, forums, workshops, seminars, training events and conferences
- Create and encourage a team environment that fosters diversity
- Lead a team to accomplish organisational goals within NDS national policies and practices
- Other duties as required consistent with the above
- Communicate with Influence. Demonstrated evidence or an understanding of working with divergent groups to research and create a cohesive view that convinced government to improve an area of public policy. In addition, examples of communicating with influence within an organisation and or sector are also desirable;
- Manage diverse stakeholder groups. Demonstrated evidence or an understanding of working partnerships across large numbers of groups in different sectors (e.g. private, community, education and public) and how different interests were successfully managed and used constructively;
- Manage with integrity and an entrepreneurial spirit. Demonstrated evidence or an understanding of creative ways of working at a local and national level to ensure sustainable outcomes aligned to national policies, legislation and the organisation’s strategic direction;
- Lead effective teams. Demonstrated evidence or an understanding of effective leadership in areas where you are the designated leader and where you may be part of a broader national team, highlighting the business outcomes achieved and your role in the success;
- Thorough understanding of the management, sustainability, capacity and practice issues facing the disability sector, or the capacity to obtain this understanding within a short time;
- Demonstrated understanding of research, public policy processes, with knowledge of disability policy or allied areas of human service policy is highly desirable;
- Computer literacy, including Microsoft Office Suite;
- A tertiary qualification in a related discipline is desirable but not essential; and
- Independent travel capability.
About the Organisation
NDS is the national industry association for disability services, representing approximately 1,100 non-government organisations. Collectively, our members operate several thousand services for Australians with all types of disability. NDS’s members range in size from small support groups to large multi-service organisations, and are located in every State and Territory across Australia.
NDS promotes the full inclusion of people with disability and this commitment is outlined in our Disability Action Plan (DAP).
Apply for this Job
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: State Manager Queensland via Pro Bono Australia.