About the Role
Based in The University of Melbourne’s Advancement Office, you will report to the Head of Bequests. In collaboration with MDHS Advancement, you will contribute to the University-wide program to solicit, secure and manage Gifts in Wills and other planned gifts from alumni, staff and members of the wider University community and public, primarily for the benefit of MDHS.
Your responsibilities will focus on internal and external relationship management and will require you to:
- work closely with a range of internal MDHS stakeholders including the Deputy Director, Development; the Dean; Associate Dean, Advancement; various Heads of School and other colleagues;
- secure, build and manage relationships with prospective and confirmed bequestors and their intermediaries (legal and financial advisers, and family representatives), including a portfolio of key prospective and current benefactors; and
- contribute to the strategic development and implementation of the University-wide bequest program, with specific reference to MDHS.
Experience and skills required
Ideally you will have a successful track record in Bequests. Alternatively, you are a senior fundraiser with experience in other kinds of planned or major gifts, or currently work in the trusts/grant-making/philanthropy advisory spaces.
You will require:
- the ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a complex environment;
- the ability to champion your mission both externally and internally;
- exemplary interpersonal skills, including effective listening, empathy and diplomacy, and the ability to build relationships within confidential and sensitive settings;
- a demonstrated ability to plan and implement complex programs and projects; and
- a track record in meeting and exceeding key performance indicators.
Experience with bequests and other planned gifts within a higher education context will be highly regarded but is not essential. An affinity for, or experience of working in the health and medical research sector will also be an advantage.
About the Organisation
The University of Melbourne is the Number 1 university in Australia and among the leading universities in the world, according to The Times Higher Education and numerous other world reputational rankings. With a tradition of excellence in teaching and research, it is at the forefront of higher education in the Asia-Pacific region and internationally.
The Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences (MDHS) works with numerous hospitals, research institutes and centres and other high-profile partners and has an annual research income of more than AUD $240 million. Its research pillars and major priorities are wide-ranging and span Cancer; Child Health; Infection and Immunity; Neurosciences and Mental Health; Disease Burdens; Indigenous Health and Family Violence.
Apply for this Job
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Bequests Manager – Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences (MDHS) via Pro Bono Australia.