About the Role
- Champion the built environment influencing the quality of life of communities
- Industry peak body, 70 staff and seven State and Territory offices
- Leaders from membership bodies or values based corporates encouraged to apply
The CEO will work as a strategic partner to the board responsible for ensuring the Institute’s influential leadership and long term sustainability, and will deliver Strategy 2020’s four priorities of respected leadership, advocacy with impact, direct member value and a strong and viable Institute. This end-to-end remit is to be reflected in a highly collaborative approach and outstanding business execution across all areas by:
• Ensuring the Institute stays on strategy, works within risk appetite, manages resources and delivers high quality services
• Engaging all Institute leaders in establishing the local strategy with alignment to the Institute strategy and network priorities
• Deliver financial oversight whilst building and maintaining self-sufficiency
• Managing the operations and state offices including developing and fostering a positive and empowering culture
• Supporting the national President in advocacy
• Building influence and reputation with government, partners, associations and community representatives
• Working with members to strengthen their own capacity to deliver services
The successful candidate will have senior management, national multi-site experience ideally from a commercial or third sector membership organisation such as another industry association or technical institute. Of course you have a passion for the built environment and you’re informed by an understanding of contemporary Australian social issues. Key competencies and characteristics include:
• Experienced and collaborative commercial leader with an emphasis on team building
• Proven financial oversight, establishment of management disciplines and revenue diversification
• Insights based strategic thinker able to articulate and inspire a clear vision of success
• Strong strategy implementer with experience harnessing diverse relationships to achieve objectives and reporting on outcomes
• Effective stakeholder manager with change management expertise
• Knowledgeable evidence-based advocate at local, state, national and international level
• Good communicator, comfortable with uncertainty and with an infectious energy to lead
About the Organisation
Architecture influences all aspects of the built environment and brings together the arts, environmental awareness, sciences and technology. By combining creative design with technical knowledge architects create the physical environment in which people live influencing the quality of life in our communities.
With a goal to make the world a better place through architecture the Australian Institute of Architects (AIA) is the peak body for the architectural profession representing 11,000 small to large practices, corporates and public service architects. The Institute develops and collaborates on policies and reforms that advance built environments by raising design standards, promoting quality and responsible design so towns and cities are sustainable and liveable.
The Institute delivers a range of advocacy activities, education programs, awards and events, information resources and member services. A substantial and complex business with seventy staff and seven offices nationally the Institute generates income from membership, professional development, the annual conference, sponsorship from long standing corporate partners and from two subsidiaries, IBL Insurance and Architecture Media (publishing).
Apply for this Job
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Chief Executive Officer via Pro Bono Australia.