About the Role
Known previously as Out of Home Care, CatholicCare’s Permanency Support Program (PSP) has started on a new and exciting journey implementing Intensive Therapeutic Care (ITC) services on the Central Coast and in Sydney’s northern suburbs to support children and young people in our care who have experienced trauma and neglect.
Intensive Therapeutic Care provides an alternative to the long-term residential model of care, focusing on recovery from trauma, the achievement of positive life outcomes and a broad range of placement options for children and young people.
Reporting to a House Supervisor and with responsibility for each young person’s day to day care and support, your role as Youth Worker will proactively contribute to the achievement of each young person’s case plan supporting them to develop their personal and life skills. Vital to your success in this role are your:
- Variety of leisure pursuits and interests;
- Ability to build rapport with and motivate young people;
- Knowledge of child protection and experience working with young people;
- Ability to role model appropriate behaviours;
- Conflict resolution and negotiation skills, and the ability to manage challenging behaviours and situations;
- Commitment to learning and continuous improvement;
- Ability to develop, maintain and strengthen partnerships and work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
Supporting your sound knowledge of the impact of abuse and neglect on children and young people and your understanding of child and adolescent development are your:
- Diploma in Youth Work, Community Services or equivalent (minimum qualification)
- Full and clean NSW Driver’s Licence
- Current First Aid Certificate
You may work across any of our sites on the Central Coast and in Northern Sydney. Youth Workers operate on a 24/7 roster which include nights, weekends and public holidays – including sleepovers and awake shifts.
Permanent and casual Youth Worker positions are available.
We encourage and welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Please contact us directly for more information.
Working at CatholicCare
We can offer you:
- An opportunity to work for a strength’s-based employer with low turnover, great work benefits, proactive self-care initiatives and in a great team environment making a difference to families, children and young people in the community.
- Regular reflective and practice supervision opportunities.
- Assistance with the development and review of plans to support your well-being.
- Access to inhouse and external training and learning opportunities.
- An Employee Assistance Program offering free and confidential counselling and support.
- Salary packaging benefits to receive up to $15,900 of your salary tax-free, as well as additional meal and entertainment benefits (for permanent staff).
- CatholicCare is a child-safe and child-friendly organisation – all staff must comply with our child-safe child-friendly policies and Code of Conduct. The successful applicant will be required to comply with the relevant provisions of the Child Protection (Working with Children) Act 2012.
- All offers of employment are subject to a satisfactory Criminal History Check and successful applicants must provide a Working with Children Check prior to commencement.
- Strong youth engagement skills combined with high levels of professionalism, ethical behaviour and sound understanding of professional boundaries are a must for all members of our team.
If you feel you reflect our organisational values of Respect, Hope, Commitment, Professionalism, Excellence and Social Justice, and you would like to learn more about this or any of our other great roles, or about working with CatholicCare, please visit our website at www.catholiccaredbb.org.au/about-us/careers/
About the Organisation
We are the social care agency of the Catholic Church in the Diocese of Broken Bay
Belonging to the larger network of Catholic Social Services Australia (CSSA), we provide services to
20,000+ children, young people, individuals and families on the NSW Central Coast,
Northern Sydney and Northern Beaches, and have been doing so since 1987.
Apply for this Job
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Youth Workers via Pro Bono Australia.