About the Role
As we move into our fifth year and next phase of development, we are seeking to strengthen our Board and ensure effective strategic growth and succession planning. We are looking for volunteer Directors who are passionate about our work, with extensive Board experience and networks, as well as expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Chair experience with strong experience in sustainability, who is able to strategically lead our organisation and our growth;
- Board, governance, senior executive experience in the public health sector;
- Expertise in finance, accountancy or funds management;
- For-purpose business development, fundraising or philanthropy including contacts and networks,
- Risk management, strategy and leadership experience;
- Lived experience of Birth for Humankind services and from a diverse background.
We are seeking Directors who are:
- Purpose driven, with a strong sense of social justice and community, and a desire to put their skills and experience towards creating positive social change;
- Great collaborators and communicators, who believe in the power of community, diversity, and celebration;
- Passionate, with an understanding of the importance of birth, the role of the doula, and the maternal health sector;
- Strong in their attention to detail, integrity and credibility;
- Committed to the role, with excellent corporate governance skills, and able to commit to the role and the organisation long-term.
As a Birth for Humankind Director, you will be expected to:
- Lead and contribute to the strategic direction of the organisation;
- Align with our Vision, Mission and Values;
- Be accountable to the Birth for Humankind community, employees, volunteers and clients for the effectiveness, integrity and sustainability of the organisation;
- Have a strong understanding of governance roles, duties and obligations;
- Be able to operate collaboratively in a team environment and have strong communication and interpersonal skills.
Birth for Humankind Board meetings
Current Board Size: 5
Positions Available: 1 to 3
Board Meeting Frequency: Currently every six weeks.
Board Meeting Time and Location: After business hours, in Brunswick East. Currently for three hours.
In addition to scheduled Board meetings, the Annual General Meeting and Strategic Planning sessions, Directors attend Birth for Humankind related events during the year, and attend additional meetings as necessary.
About the Organisation
Birth for Humankind is a registered Melbourne-based charity with a team of eight part-time employees, over 40 volunteer doulas, a committed and ‘hands-on’ board, as well as a growing community of people passionate about promoting better birth outcomes and supporting women in need.
We were founded in 2014 to address a gap in the maternal health system whereby women experiencing socio-economic disadvantage were often journeying through pregnancy and labour alone, under-prepared and confused about their choices, leading to poorer birth experiences and outcomes. Birth for Humankind exists to help close this gap and ensure all women, regardless of their socio-economic circumstances, have access to support, education and care during their pregnancy, birth and early parenting journey.
We do this through our free one-to-one doula support program, education programs and advocacy. Informed decisions, loving care and continuous support can help to reduce birth complications and support more positive birth outcomes for mothers and babies.
Find out more at www.birthforhumankind.org.
Apply for this Job
For details concerning this role, please contact
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Board Directors via Pro Bono Australia.