About the Role
Your professional expertise will complement the experience, skills and networks of existing board members.
Your previous Company Secretary experience will allow you to;
- Advise the board and its committees on governance matters,
- Monitor that board and committee policies and procedures are followed,
- Coordinate the timely completion and dispatch of board and committee papers,
- Ensure that the business at board and committee meetings is accurately captured in the minutes, and
- Help to organise and facilitate the induction and professional development of the Directors
This is a voluntary board position.
All Arthritis Queensland Directors have the following responsibilities:
- Ensuring that they perform the duties and responsibilities of a Company Secretary and Director with due care and diligence in compliance with all applicable laws, the Constitution and any specific delegations or policies approved by the Board.
- Ensuring Arthritis Queensland remains aligned with its Vision, Mission and strategic and financial objectives and delivers programs and projects in line with those aims.
- Contributing to the achievement of Arthritis Queensland’s strategic plan by supporting and/or overseeing implementation of agreed strategic initiatives.
- Participating in various fundraising and marketing events and activities and/or making introductions to relevant networks. All Directors are expected to champion fundraising and to donate to Arthritis Queensland in proportion to their ability.
- Attending monthly (up to 11 per year) Board meetings regularly as well as any additional meetings, such as committee meetings, planning sessions or working group meetings, and following up on commitments made in a timely manner.
- Monitoring Arthritis Queensland’s organisational and financial performance and execution against the approved annual operational plan and budget.
- Maintaining and enhancing Arthritis Queensland’s public reputation by modelling professional conduct and monitoring Arthritis Queensland’s organisational behaviour.
Key Selection Criteria – Essential
- Prior experience of NFP governance.
- Prior experience as a Company Secretary.
- Relevant territory qualification (law, business, accounting or similar).
- An appreciation of the challenges of smaller not-for-profit organisations.
- Demonstrated relationship management skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- A collaborative approach to governance with the ability to think clearly, originally and laterally, and
- Willingness to bring a genuine spirit of inquiry to issues, a preparedness to challenge the status quo, and the courage to be a catalyst for change within the Board.
Key Selection Criteria – Desirable
- Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
- Member of the Governance Institute of Australia.
About the Organisation
Arthritis Queensland supports the 1 in 5 Queenslanders who live with arthritis.
After 40 years of working to providing education and information services to people living with arthritis, Arthritis Queensland is facing an exciting new strategic direction as we become an advocacy and awareness raising organisation.
We are looking for a skilled and dedicated Company Secretary to join our Board of Directors. As well as an excellent understanding of governance best practice, you will need to share our passion for creating systemic changes that will help Queenslanders living with arthritis.
Apply for this Job
For details concerning this role, please contact
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Company Secretary/ Director via Pro Bono Australia.