About the Role
The Marketing and Communications Coordinator will be accountable for implementation of communications, public relations and media activities that relate to Garvan’s most impactful new research and other activities. Contributing to both internal and external science-based but consumer-facing communications and publications, the role involves developing a range of communications based on a forward planned content roadmap. The role also involves seeking media coverage and proactively building relationships to facilitate the rollout and pipeline of the content roadmap. You must be able to translate ground-breaking and innovative medical research into inspiring content for a range of audiences and with the ultimate goal to drive awareness, engagement and support for Garvan.
If you’re a creative communicator and marketing expert with a background in science, and genuinely want to make a difference, we want to hear from you! This position is offered full-time for an initial 12-month term with the possibility of extension for the right candidate.
Reporting to the Senior Marketing and Communications Officer, the key responsibilities include:
- Interpreting Garvan discoveries and scientific papers to engage and educate an external consumer audience by collaborating with Garvan’s research groups and individuals to proactively identify opportunities for stories that will resonate and engage when converted to lay language
- Preparing and pitching media releases while building strong relationships with the media to maximise Garvan’s presence in print, online and broadcast media
- Providing scientific sounding board for accuracy on all internal and external facing communication
- Project managing, writing and creating content across multiple streams on the content roadmap – this includes working across media, fundraising, corporate sponsorship and philanthropy
- Creating video and social media content that is informed by science but led by consumer and industry audience needs, including briefing agencies and the creation of storyboards
- Proactively seeking opportunities to develop and write stories that are aligned with the editorial calendars of consumer and industry publications in order to secure broader coverage and consumer interest led opportunities
You will have the following skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in life sciences/biological sciences essential and PhD highly desirable as well as experience in science/medical/health communications and marketing
- Ability to demonstrate copywriting and editing expertise across a range of materials for a variety of internal and external audiences
- Experience in writing for and pitching to media with a proven track record in placement is required
- Experience in preparation (storyboarding) visual / video content for science communication purposes
- Knowledge of marketing principles and best practice communication and design skills across a wide range of formats and channels is required
- A working knowledge of scientific research and culture and an understanding of research publication processes is advantageous
- A strong track record in effectively communicating complex science to a non-scientific audience
- High level of initiative to find sources and develop relationships that will enable proactive planning of ongoing stories
- The capacity to work rapidly and accurately under pressure and to respond to communication needs that may arise after working hours on the odd occasion
- An ability to work as part of a team as well as autonomously
This is an excellent opportunity to work in a social, inspiring and positive working environment with a competitive track record in attracting philanthropic support. You’ll have the satisfaction of knowing that your work has a real impact on human health. You will be exposed to a wide range of projects and have the opportunity to contribute new ideas in an open environment. You will have direct access to exceptional scientists who support the work that we do – if you have an interest in science, there is no better place to work.
Located in modern offices, there is an on-site café and you are situated close to public transport and Darlinghurst’s trendy restaurants. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary, not-for-profit salary packaging and 10% superannuation.
About the Organisation
Established in 1981, the Garvan Research Foundation is the fundraising and marketing arm of the Garvan Institute of Medical Research, tasked with raising and administering vital funds from individuals, Trusts and Foundations, and corporate and community groups. The Foundation also delivers Garvan’s public engagement and awareness activities. These educate and advocate the need for and importance of Garvan's medical research as well as share news of its progress with the broader community. The success of the Foundation’s awareness campaigns and fundraising activities allow Garvan’s scientists to make discoveries which will ultimately lead to earlier diagnosis, better treatments, and prevention or cure of a range of diseases.
Apply for this Job
For details concerning this role, please contact
Phone : 02 9295 8548
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Marketing and Communications Coordinator – Content Producer via Pro Bono Australia.