About the Role
The Aboriginal Family Violence Legal Service (AFVLS) is a program of Djirra. An exciting opportunity has arisen in our Northcote office for a dedicated Paralegal Support Worker to provide support and information to clients who have experienced family violence in Ballarat and the surrounding region. You will work closely with a Senior Lawyer assisting clients to a variety of legal, social, psychological, cultural, health and other support services to address their needs.
This position is for a fixed term period of 12 months. The role is based in Melbourne but will require regular travel and possible overnight stays in Ballarat. A current driver licence is essential.
- Provide support to clients and make referrals to counselling, housing and other support services
- Support clients at court
- Assist clients to access Family Violence Flexible Support Packages
- Meet with local Aboriginal organisations and service providers across the region to establish working relationships
- Participate in our community legal education activities
- Undertake legal administration tasks, including reception duties, client intake, and assisting the Senior Lawyer with day-to-day management of client files
- General office duties
- Ability to effectively communicate and work with local Aboriginal communities and knowledge of the social justice issues within Aboriginal communities
- Demonstrated capacity to communicate empathically and effectively with Aboriginal people and/or others who have experienced trauma
- Experience or the capacity to gain experience in the provision of case management/support in the area of family violence/sexual assault or other crisis response, including knowledge of relevant service providers
- Proficient in MS Office software and other computer package/databases e.g. CLASS
- Ability to prioritise and meet high demands with conflicting and critical deadlines
- Generous salary packaging options
- Conveniently located near public transport with ample parking and some great coffee shops, cafes and restaurants nearby
- Cultural Awareness training and ongoing support provided by our dedicated full-time Cultural Advisor
- Access to a monthly Rostered-Day-Off, Cultural Leave, paid Parental leave, extra paid leave over the Christmas/New Year period and annual leave loading
- Opportunities to participate in our Community Engagement activities
HOW TO APPLY
To find out more about the position and how to apply, refer to our ‘Get Involved’ page on our website.
Only applications received via the link on Djirra’s website will be considered. Applications must include a CV and cover letter and all applicants must answer the questions at the bottom of the application form.
If you would like to know more about the role or the work we do, please call Teresa Kyprianou, Human Resources Advisor on 9244 3333 or via email email@example.com.
Applications for these positions will close upon appointment of the successful candidate.
About the Organisation
Djirra supports Aboriginal women's journey to safety and wellbeing and provides legal and practical support to Aboriginal people experiencing family violence. Djirra is an Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisation with a rich history and we are growing our services across regional Victoria.
Apply for this Job
For details concerning this role, please contact
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote in application: Paralegal Support Worker (Ballarat) via Pro Bono Australia.