About the Role
AFAO Policy Analyst
Australian Federation of AIDS Organisations
- Are you passionate about creating social change?
- Are you a critical thinker with a solutions focussed approach?
- Do you want to work in a community organisation that’s leading Australia’s efforts to end HIV transmission?
The AFAO Policy Analyst supports change that improves our national response to HIV to ensure Australia meets its targets in the National HIV Strategy. This includes contributing to the organisation’s policy portfolio through the production of papers and briefings, research to inform AFAO’s government and political relations strategy and the organisation’s ongoing engagement with its membership, affiliate membership and other stakeholders. The position draws upon the intelligence, activity and goodwill available within AFAO’s membership and through its networks to support the coordination of national action on HIV.
Key Skills and Experience
- Capacity to conceptualise effective responses to complex issues relevant to HIV, public health and diverse sexual and gender identities.
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively to resolve complex issues, including with stakeholders who may hold differing views and conflicting interests.
- Ability to engage in policy consultation, research, analysis and development.
- Outstanding interpersonal and negotiation skills to achieve results, maintain important relationships and represent the organisation in government and other public fora.
- Experience in policy consultation, research, analysis and development.
- High-quality project, organisational and time management skills, including the capacity to manage concurrent projects and meet deadlines.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work well both within a team environment and autonomously.
- Tertiary qualifications in one or more of science, public policy, social sciences and the humanities and law or equivalent experience in social change, policy or a similar field.
The successful applicant will have an understanding of and commitment to AFAO’s communities.
About the Organisation
The Australian Federation of AIDS Organisations is looking for a Policy Analyst to influence Australia’s HIV response by supporting the development of high-quality positions, papers and submissions to ensure AFAO provides leadership in facilitating the implementation of the National HIV Strategy. The position plays a critical role in supporting AFAO to achieve its goals of leading Australia’s community response to HIV and advocating for AFAO’s members’ and communities’ interests.
Based in Sydney, Australia, the AFAO Policy Analyst reports directly to the Deputy CEO.
Our member organisations represent the diverse communities most affected by HIV – lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intesex communities, sex workers, people who inject drugs, people with HIV and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities. Our close connections with our communities provide us with rapid intelligence on changes in Australia’s HIV epidemic, allow us to mobilise and respond quickly and to act as a trusted communication channel to government, research and clinical partners.
AFAO is a growing international organisation that leads country and regional efforts to virtually eliminate HIV transmission. AFAO’s Australia Program works across the Australian Parliament to foster interest, strengthen political support, provide briefings and education about Australia’s response to HIV. We support our members by advocating in forums and government processes, providing a public voice on HIV and formulating positions and submissions and responses as new issues, evidence and technology emerges.
Apply for this Job
For details concerning this role, please contact
Phone : 02 9557 9399
Email : email@example.com
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Policy Analyst via Pro Bono Australia.