About the Role
The Koori Women’s Place is an exciting program of Djirra and an extension of our work and commitment to supporting Aboriginal women’s safety and wellbeing. At Djirra we look for people who get on well with others, and most importantly, have an understanding of Aboriginal culture and values. We are looking for someone who can bring with them their networking and community outreach experience.
This is a full time fixed term position until 30th June 2019. However, candidates with the relevant skill set who would prefer to work part-time will also be considered.
- Maintain supportive relationships with Aboriginal women
- Provide personalised support to Aboriginal women who are facing family violence issues
- Provide assistance and guidance in relation to appropriate services that are available (e.g. Centrelink, Medicare, Education, etc) and attend meetings where appropriate
- Coordinate culturally and socially framed events and workshops
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with partners, stakeholders and service providers to strengthen their cultural sensitivity in order to offer improves services to Aboriginal women
- General Administrative duties
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander societies and cultures and the issues affecting these societies, including family violence, sexual assault and family law
- Demonstrated high level initiative, integrity, tact and discretion in dealing with sensitive and confidential matters
- Demonstrated capacity to communicate empathically and effectively with Aboriginal people and/or others who have experienced trauma
- Generous salary packaging options
- Conveniently located near public transport with ample parking and some great coffee shops, cafes and restaurants nearby
- Cultural Awareness training and ongoing support provided by our dedicated full-time Cultural Advisor
- Access to a monthly Rostered-Day-Off, Cultural Leave, paid Parental leave, extra paid leave over the Christmas/New Year period and annual leave loading
- Opportunities to participate in our Community Engagement activities
About the Organisation
Djirra supports Aboriginal women's journey to safety and wellbeing and provides legal and practical support to Aboriginal people experiencing family violence. Djirra is an Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisation with a rich history and we are growing our services across regional Victoria.
Apply for this Job
For details concerning this role, please contact
Email : email@example.com
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Senior Support Worker (Koori Women’s Place) via Pro Bono Australia.