About the Role
In an Australian first, Nugel is delivering a culturally sensitive child protection service to a small number of Aboriginal children on protection orders. Additional funding has been received to create a second team commencing in January 2019.
If you thrive on innovation, challenge and creating change then the Nugel team wants you. Opportunities to participate in child protection beginning practice andother specialist training, extensive in house legal training and mentoring, contributing to service delivery and practice innovation with lower caseloads, and being part of a dynamic and supportive team.
- Location- Preston
- Full Time
The Nugel case manager position is responsible for delivering a child protection case management service to vulnerable Aboriginal children and their families. These positions will play a key role in working with Aboriginal children and families, Government and sector partners to reduce the over representation of Aboriginal children in care and in contact with the Child Protection system, strive for better outcomes for children and to build capacity in families so that children can be transitioned home.
To be considered for this role you must demonstrate
- Awareness and appreciation of Aboriginal communities and culture and an understanding of the issues affecting Aboriginal people in contemporary Australia
- An ability to work in a culturally respectful and competent manner with young people, their families and communities to ensure that cultural connections are fostered and maintained
- Sound knowledge and understanding of
- Child development, attachment and trauma as they relate to Aboriginal children
- Demonstrated ability to use this knowledge to guide practice with Aboriginal children, families and carers
- Legislation, policy and practice requirements relating to Aboriginal children, families and communities
- Ability to undertake complex casework with families and children who have experienced trauma and may present with challenging behaviours, including using culturally safe therapeutic approaches to heal and build resilience
- Ability to complete assessments, including assessments of risk
- Ability to develop, implement and reviews plans for children and young people
- Ability to effectively communicate and negotiate with Aboriginal children, families, carers and other service providers to achieve outcomes
- Ability to advocate on behalf of Aboriginal children and families
- Well developed written and computer skills with the ability to prepare reports (including court reports) and maintain client records to a high standard
About the Organisation
Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA) operates within the context that Aboriginal children continue to be significantly over-represented in the protection and care system within Victoria. VACCA considers that it has the responsibility and the opportunity to promote, advocate for and achieve positive changes in the lives of Aboriginal children, their families and the broader Aboriginal community.
If you like to be part of an Organization that strives in strengthening the safety and wellbeing and cultural connectedness of Aboriginal children, individuals and families in their community, we want to hear from you.
Apply for this Job
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Senior Case Manager- Nugel via Pro Bono Australia.