About the role
“Full citizenship for all people living with a mental illness in Australian society”
About Youth Residential Support Services
The Youth Residential Recovery Service (YRR) provides a 7 day a week service for young people who are becoming unwell or are still recovering from an acute mental illness and need a period of additional support to complement their clinical treatment. This service provides a safe and shared living environment for young people and aims to encourage positive growth and development for young people with mental health illnesses to improve their quality of life and broaden their opportunities.
Peer Support Workers are integral members of the team and draw on their lived experience of recovery from mental illness, to instil confidence and hope in others about the journey of recovery. You must have a lived experience of your own mental illness and a rich understanding of your own processes of recovery. You must be willing to purposefully use your own story to help others further their own understanding of recovery.
About the role
- Part Time, Maximum Term Contract until 30 June 2019
- Located at Moorabbin Youth Residential Recovery Service
- Provide emotional support to young residents by applying lessons learnt through your own lived experience
- Work within a youth friendly, recovery and trauma based model
- Maintain records and resources
- Engage consumers and develop trusting and professional relationships
- Collect, collate and maintain data on consumer contact
- Work within a collaborative team approach
What will you bring to the role?
- Lived experience of mental illness and demonstrated experience of recovery
- Passion for working with young people
- Demonstrated experience in facilitating groups
- Ability and willingness to work effectively as part of a team, to meet program goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of the recovery model for mental health
- Current Working with Children Check
- Australian Working Rights
- Drivers licence
- Police check (refer to PD) – disclosable outcomes considered
About the organisation
Neami National is a community mental health service supporting people living with mental illness to improve their health, live independently and pursue a life based on their own strengths, values and goals.
In our most recent Staff Engagement Survey, 89% of our Staff recommend Neami as a great place to work, with 87% of staff proud to say they work for Neami.
“Neami’s been amazing for career development. I’ve gone through several different types of roles and positions. Over the last 11 years there have been so many opportunities to engage with, and the organisation really supports people to do that”
We acknowledge Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples and communities as the Traditional Custodians of the land we work on and pay our respects to Elders past, present and emerging. We recognise that their sovereignty was never ceded. Neami National is committed to cultivating inclusive environments for staff, consumers and carers. We celebrate, value and include people of all backgrounds, genders, sexualities, cultures, bodies and abilities. We are an environmentally conscious organisation.
- Diverse and inclusive organisation
- Induction and extensive Learning and Development Program
- Regular Practice Development sessions and coaching with your supervisor
- Salary Packaging providing tax benefits available for living and entertainment expenses
- Excellent conditions including paid parental leave, a monthly accrued day off, generous long service leave, wellness and gratis leave
- Pet friendly environment
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Peer Support Worker – Moorabbin Youth Residential Recovery via Pro Bono Australia.