About the Role
Kids Thrive is looking for a General Manager who will take responsibility for the management of the organisation. They will be required to review and develop policies, oversee operational procedures and systems and prepare and manage budgets in consultation with appropriate staff members. They will be responsible for the work of administrative staff and will lead by example. They will exhibit a strong understanding of a range of cross-sectoral landscapes within which Kids Thrive operates. Alongside the Creative Directors, who are also the organisational founders, the General Manager will assume an advocacy role for Kids Thrive, promoting arts and creative-based ‘child-led community change’ programs within the broader community, with major stakeholders, and within the arts, education, early years, health, social justice and community welfare sectors.
The Kids Thrive General Manager will be good-humoured, entrepreneurial and ambitious for the organisation – able to show an ability to create opportunities for our projects and programs and for organisational and business development. They will have a passion for complex budgeting and reporting – and be most happy working in a small, collaborative team in a busy, creative environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The General Manager will be responsible for the financial management of the organisation within a complex system of multiple projects, each with multiple funders and diverse reporting timelines and requirements. Responsibilities include:
- Financial reporting to the Committee of Management (CoM) and the Creative Directors
- Management of Kids Thrive finances and financial systems
- Preparing project/program and annual budgets in consultation with Kids Thrive staff
- Working closely with the Financial Officer in the tracking of budgets
- Ensuring all financial transactions and required reporting is undertaken, and the preparation of the annual audit is completed on time
- Design and implementation of business plans and strategies to achieve organisational goals
- Ensuring adequate and suitable resources to complete activities
- Assessing financial performance against objectives and reporting on budget variations.
The General Manager will be responsible for the good governance of the organisation. Responsibilities include:
- High level reporting to the Committee of Management (CoM) on HR, governance, finance, funding, and other organisational matters
- Oversee Kids Thrive corporate governance framework including CoM meetings, AGMs and other CoM requirements
- Ensure that all corporate reporting requirements (including, but not limited to ASIC, ROCO, CAV, ACNC, Worksafe, ATO, superannuation) are met fully and on time
- Ensure Kids Thrive insurance requirements are regularly reviewed and maintained
- Develop and review all relevant organisational policies (Risk Management, OH&S etc) and ensure all staff are aware of their responsibilities and comply with all requirements.
The General Manager will demonstrate strong leadership, and legal knowledge with primary responsibility for all HR and employee management. Responsibilities include:
- Recruitment of staff and contractors, as required, including the development and review of Position Descriptions, Employment Contracts and key performance indicators
- Undertake overall responsibility for administrative staff management currently one full-time staff (Programs Manager) and four part-time (Finance Officer, Communications and Marketing Manager, Administrator, Geelong Coordinator)
- Undertake performance reviews for staff measured against key performance indicators to encourage strong performance
- Ensure staff are working in a cooperative and supportive environment.
The General Manager will work with the Creative Directors to drive the development and delivery of a range of business goals for the organisation. Responsibilities include:
- Researching and developing new partnerships and networks
- Developing ideas for new business and pursuing approved opportunities
- Researching, developing and managing income-generating strategies including, but not limited to, the development of a licencing model and software for schools
- Undertaking fundraising activities, including grant writing and funding submission preparation and reporting
- Manage the development of a donor program.
Relationship building and maintenance
The General Manager, in consultation with the Creative Directors, will ensure good working relationships are built and maintained with Kids Thrive funding agencies, partners and government agencies. Responsibilities include:
- Stakeholder and partnership relationship maintenance, including potential and active funders, current and potential program partners
- Ensuring all requirements of Kids Thrive funding bodies are met fully and on time, including program evaluation reports, funding reports (written and financial), acquittals, updates and provision of statistical data.
Marketing and Promotion
Whilst the Creative Directors are responsible for overview of company branding, the General Manager will, in consultation with the Marketing and Communications Manager, oversee the development and implementation of the Kids Thrive marketing plan. Responsibilities include:
- Engage and manage marketing staff and consultants
- Oversee the rollout of the marketing plan
- Set and manage marketing budgets
- Oversee development of marketing collateral and campaigns, including annual reports, e-newsletters, social media and program collateral
- Oversee the review and redevelopment of the Kids Thrive website.
- Minimum of five years’ working experience as a General Manager, ideally in a busy Not for Profit environment
- Outstanding written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Superior interpersonal and leadership skills
- A proven track record of successfully leading and motivating diverse teams
- Multitasker and critical thinker with strong analytical skills
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Qualifications in Business Administration may be an advantage
- Current Working with Children (WWCC) check
ACCOUNTABILITY AND REPORTING LINES
The Kids Thrive General Manager is accountable initially to the Creative Directors and thereafter to the Committee of Management. The General Manager will be directly responsible for managing the core administrative team at Kids Thrive plus other employees or sub-contractors that may be appointed in consultation with the Directors.
How to apply:
Send your CV and a cover letter addressing the relevant skills and experience required to: Sarah Mathers, Kids Thrive Interim Manager – email@example.com.
Applications close at 5pm on 27th February 2019.
Please, no recruitment agencies.
Applicants must be eligible to live and work in Australia.
Kids Thrive takes the safety of children very seriously and requires all employees to hold a current Working with Children Check card and be willing to undergo regular police checks.
Kids Thrive, Victoria’s leading arts and community development organisation committed to child-led change, is seeking a dynamic business administrator to be our General Manager, as the organisation steps into a new phase of growth.
About the Organisation
Kids Thrive is a leading arts and community development organisation committed to child-led community change.
Our vision is for all children to thrive and be empowered to lead creative community change. To achieve this, we use creativity and the arts to nourish connections between children and their local communities, develop children’s leadership skills, build their resilience and grow their capacity to drive positive change.
We develop innovative social justice programs in collaboration with specialists in children’s education, health, social welfare and cultural diversity. We use creativity and the arts to tackle issues children experience arising from trauma, poverty and cultural conflict, and to expand children’s creativity, communication and life skills - preparing children for a lifetime of self-determination, creative problem solving and community connection.
We deliver our programs in safe, supportive, child-focused community settings throughout Victoria.
Creativity | Integrity | Commitment | Flexibility
Apply for this Job
For details concerning this role, please contact
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: General Manager via Pro Bono Australia.