About the role
The primary objective of the Senior Communications Advisor is to undertake NDS communications projects. This will involve being responsible for developing communication strategies, tactical plans and producing quality written communication from NDS to our members, broader community, within the organisation and a broad range of other stakeholders.
Key roles and responsibilities:
- Liaise with NDS staff across Australia regarding their communications requirements and aspirations
- Undertake special communications projects for NDS including coordinating website builds, internal training programs and campaign activities
- Create content, edit, proof read and publish relevant and engaging news, features and web content.
- Ability to write, edit, proof and publish quality communication to ensure copy is accurate, clear and with all grammar correct, and meets the NDS style guide including:
- news stories/updates
- media releases
- marketing material
- print publications (including research and annual reports)
- social media content
- Content and communication is produced quickly and efficiently and published without delay (as soon as it has been approved).
- Interview stakeholders to elicit stories for online and print publications.
- Work collaboratively with NDS staff on key projects.
- Field queries to the Communications team regarding content and troubleshoot any issues.
- Ensure that NDS content and publications meet accessibility requirements.
- Advise on best practice in producing high quality, audience-appropriate editorial for web and print.
- Ensure smooth and timely posting/disseminating of content.
- Optimise content with links to related stories, tags to facilitate searches, and cross-links to other relevant coverage.
- Coach colleagues on how to follow the NDS brand guidelines.
- Other duties as directed.
- Demonstrated experience in a similar role.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- Demonstrated problem solving and analytical skills related to project management.
- Must have a “can do” attitude, and willing to work quickly and efficiently.
- Self-starter with proficient skills in areas including researching, writing, editing and proofreading in various platforms including print, online and social media.
- Strong written skills, with the ability to write accurate and engaging copy for a variety of audiences and simplify corporate or jargon-heavy language.
- Strong communication skills, specifically in relationship-building, both internally and externally.
- Keen attention to detail, with the ability to prioritise workload to meet deadlines and maintain quality under pressure.
- IT literate with a working knowledge of web publishing and content management systems.
- Experience in Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office suite.
- Experience of CRM and CMS platform.
- Passion for the disability sector, public policy and social justice.
- Understanding of membership organisations and stakeholder engagement.
- Knowledge of accessible communications methods would be highly regarded.
- Tertiary qualifications in Communications, Journalism, PR, Media Studies or business related discipline.
About the organisation
NDS is the national industry association for disability services, representing over 900 non-government organisations. Collectively, our members operate several thousand services for Australians with all types of disability. NDS’s members range in size from small support groups to large multi-service organisations, and are located in every State and Territory across Australia.
NDS promotes the full inclusion of people with disability and this commitment is outlined in our Disability Action Plan (DAP).
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Senior Communication Advisor via Pro Bono Australia.