About the role
The Legal Team will provide high quality legal advice in a culturally safe and appropriate manner within a trauma informed framework in accordance with relevant legislation and knowmore’s practice manual, undertake legal research and prepare and deliver community legal education, working cooperatively and collaboratively with other staff and service providers.
The Managing Lawyer will hold a minimum of 5 years post admission experience, and will have experience of working with clients who have experienced trauma.
This role is based in Sydney, with a national focus, regular interstate travel may be required.
- Hold or be eligible to immediately obtain a current unrestricted practising certificate in the relevant jurisdiction and, ideally, be eligible to obtain a principal’s practising certificate.
- An excellent awareness of the legal issues facing survivors of child sexual abuse and demonstrated extensive experience practicing in a relevant area or areas of law; particularly desirable is experience in personal injury claims.
- Experience leading teams and managing people, including multi-disciplinary teams of legal and non-legal staff, and demonstrated experience in supervising and assisting more junior legal staff.
- Demonstrated understanding of the issues affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and experience in providing culturally safe services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain collaborative working relationships with other service providers to further access to justice for clients.
- Strong organisational and time management skills, including the capacity to manage competing demands, prioritise tasks and to find creative solutions to improve effectiveness of service delivery for clients.
- Demonstrated ability to identify broader and systemic issues arising from casework and to develop appropriate responses, including experience in contributing to policy development and law reform.
- Proactively manage own care and workload.
- Ability and willingness to travel and work in regional, rural and remote areas.
A competitive salary commensurate with the not for profit sector is offered together with the availability of salary packaging to achieve a tax effective total salary package. In addition to being a flexible workplace, knowmore offers 10% superannuation (0.5%above the SGC), a 37.5 -hour working week and 4 weeks annual leave, including annual leave loading.
About the organisation
knowmore is currently expanding to meet the higher than expected demands on our obligation to deliver legal support services to assist survivors of institutional child sexual abuse to access redress under the National Redress Scheme.
knowmore is a nation-wide, free and independent community legal centre providing legal information, advice, representation and referrals, education and systemic advocacy for victims and survivors of child abuse. Our vision is a community that is accountable to survivors and free of child abuse. Our mission is to facilitate access to justice for victims and survivors of child abuse, and to work with survivors and their supporters to stop child abuse.
Our service was initially established in 2013 to assist people who were engaging with the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse (‘the Royal Commission’). knowmore was established by and operates as a program of the National Association of Community Legal Centres (NACLC), with funding from the Australian Government, represented by the Attorney-General’s Department. knowmore also receives funding under a grant from the Financial Counselling Foundation.
From 1 July 2018 NACLC has been funded to operate knowmore to deliver legal support services to assist survivors of institutional child sexual abuse to access redress under the National Redress Scheme. knowmore assists survivors by providing information and advice about the options available to them, including claims under the NRS, access to compensation through other schemes or common law rights and claims.
knowmore uses a multidisciplinary model bringing together intake officers, lawyers, social workers and counsellors, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander engagement advisors and financial counsellors to provide trauma-informed, client-centred and culturally safe legal assistance to clients. Services are provided through a national phone line and face-to-face services in key locations, supported by a comprehensive program of outreach and community engagement across Australia. knowmore currently has offices in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Acting Managing Lawyer – Maternity Leave Cover via Pro Bono Australia.