About the Role
Position Title: Media Advisor
Salary Classification Level & Employment status:
Salary $99,613 – $112,294 + 15.4% superannuation (salary negotiable depending on skills and experience) Organiser 3.1 to 3.5
Ongoing/Fulltime (subject to 6 months probation)
Position reports to: Director Campaigns and Communications Unit
Positions reporting to this position are: Nil
Conditions of employment: Excellent conditions of employment including ongoing employment (following probation period), flexible working hours and access to 13 accrued days off a year, family friendly conditions including 26 weeks Paid Parental Leave.
Overview of position
The Community and Public Sector Union (CPSU) is looking for an experienced media professional to join our Communications and Campaigns Unit. This role is pivotal to the union’s campaign and membership strategies and works closely with the union’s elected leadership and senior staff.
The successful applicant will have extensive experience working in the media and key existing relationships with journalists, as well as an in-depth knowledge of general and specialist news outlets. We are looking for someone with a sophisticated understanding of federal politics, unions and public sector issues. We want someone who can proactively pitch our stories to the right person at the right time for maximum impact.
Direct experience working as a journalist, particularly covering politics, trade unions or the public sector, is preferable.
The primary function of this role is to deliver effective communications that support the union’s agenda and sustain our public profile on issues that matter to our members and our union. This may involve direct pitching to specific outlets, as well as producing media releases for general distribution and fielding media calls.
Duties will include:
- providing high-level media and communication support and advice to the National Secretary, Director of Campaigns and Communications and other CPSU officials / staff;
- working with the National Secretary and Director of Campaigns and Communications to develop and drive CPSU’s media strategy;
- identifying opportunities to raise CPSU’s public profile, engage in public debates and promote the important work our members perform in the public sector and beyond;
- researching, write, edit, commission and manage the production of high quality union materials including media releases, op-eds, speeches, background papers, and online and social media content;
- be the primary first point of contact with the union for media outlets and related entities;
- ensure consistent messaging from the union to all stakeholders, from members and politicians to the general community;
- working closely with the CCU to ensure media coverage receives the maximum possible exposure across social media and other platforms;
- seeking out the CPSU’s stories and managing the required internal sign off in a timely fashion to serve the union’s campaign goals.
Selection Criteria – required skills, knowledge and ability
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to write media releases, opinion pieces, speeches and communications to union members;
- Ability to analyse issues and provide effective media support and advice, both to progress the CPSU’s key strategic objectives and to defend the reputation of the union and its members.
- Experience in and understanding of the media and political environment as it relates to the CPSU
- Ability to manage professional relationships with diverse groups of people, including journalists, political staff, union officials, delegates and union members
- Capacity to meet deadlines and manage rapid responses as part of a small team in a high pressure environment
- A commitment to union values and principles and progressive politics
- Capacity to embrace new technologies and strategies to promote the CPSU
How to apply
You must address the Selection Criteria and complete the on-line Employment Application Questionnaire https://cpsu.wufoo.com/forms/cpsu-employment-application/ to be considered for this position.
Please submit your application by Monday 18 March 2019 close of business.
Inquiries can be made to:
Claire Pullen, Director of Campaigns and Communications
The CPSU is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds to apply for this position. Selection is merit based. Part time employment opportunities may be considered where suitable.
About the Organisation
Apply for this Job
For details concerning this role, please contact
Phone : 0386206345
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Media Advisor via Pro Bono Australia.