About the Role
ASRC Human Rights Law Program
The Human Rights Law Program is an independent, not for profit Community Legal Centre working within the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre. We provide free, expert legal advice and representation in relation to protection applications for persons seeking asylum who are at risk of persecution and human rights abuses in their home country.
The Senior Solicitor is a member of the Human Rights Law Program management team who also brings technical expertise in refugee law to the program. The Senior Solicitor will work closely with the Principal solicitor to implement the vision for the Program across all areas of the work being access to justice, casework and activities aimed at achieving systemic change.
The Senior Solicitor will be responsible for supervising the casework of a team of lawyers, leading complex legal matters and participating in systemic change activities which may include strategic litigation, advocacy and policy development and overseeing community legal education. The Senior Solicitor may be expected to supervise or participate in ASRC’s legal clinics.
The Senior Solicitor will be responsible for undertaking the following specific duties:
- Work with the Principal Solicitor to provide leadership to the team including through supporting implementation of the vision and the overall management of the Program and deputising as the ‘Responsible Person’ (under the accreditation requirements of the National Association of Community Legal Centres Risk Management framework) where necessary.
- Work with the Principal Solicitor to make case intake and case allocation decisions in alignment with the Program’s eligibility criteria.
- Supervise and mentor a small team of solicitors as a Nominated Person (under the Risk Management framework), including their ‘access to justice’ roles, legal casework and ‘systemic change’ activities ensuring compliance with professional obligations and internal policies and procedures.
- Supervise access to justice programs including clinics, triage and duty service and other persons assisting the Program including volunteers and Practical Legal Training students.
- Contribute to tracking of Program progress against the Program Logic and monitoring and evaluation frameworks.
- Provide and participate in internal training sessions for lawyers and volunteers including for clinics and in ‘complex case’ forums for lawyers.
- Deliver high-quality representation in complex legal matters at all stages of the refugee determination process, including protection visa cancellation and judicial review matters as well as assistance to people in immigration detention.
- Lead and participate in systemic change work of the program such as strategic litigation, advocacy and policy development, strengthening of pro bono models of support, legal research and community legal empowerment and education.
- Represent the program in external and internal meeting forums where needed.
- Collaborate with ASRC campaigns team, including draft material for media publications and attend media appearances.
- Contribute to ASRC ‘all staff’ and Advocacy Stream meetings, HRLP planning and team meetings.
- Contribute to strengthening integrated casework systems with internal ASRC programs and external providers to provide clients with holistic support and advice around health, counseling, economic and social needs.
- Other duties as assigned by the Principal Solicitor bearing in mind that the work at ASRC is varied and a significant degree of flexibility is required.
- Solicitor with current legal practicing certificate and migration agent registration (or eligible to obtain registration)
- Demonstrated extensive post admission experience (four years plus)
- Experience in management and supervisory roles
- Excellent analytical and writing skills
- Exceptional time management skills and demonstrated ability to prioritise tasks in an under-resourced environment
- Ability to work as an effective member and leader of a team of other solicitors, students and/or volunteers
- Demonstrated competence in advocacy before administrative decision makers and/or courts
- Willingness to travel to detention centres or other locations as required
- Experience in working with people from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of social justice
- Knowledge and experience in refugee law and practice
- Experience working within a community legal centre
- Experience managing litigation matters
- Lived experience or CALD background
Conditions of Employment
Terms and conditions of employment will be based on the Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award 2010 or its successor agreements.
All offers of employment are subject to a satisfactory Criminal History Check and provision of a valid Working with Children Check prior to commencement.
About the Organisation
The Asylum Seeker Resource Centre (ASRC) is the largest aid, employment, health and advocacy organisation for people seeking asylum in Australia. The ASRC provides a range of direct services as well as participating in law reform, campaigning and lobbying.
Apply for this Job
Phone : 0303266066
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Senior Solicitor – Refugee and Human Rights Law via Pro Bono Australia.