About the role
The Head – Governance, Compliance and Legal will act as the Institute’s primary legal advisor and will be responsible for the provision of a broad suite of legal advisory, governance and compliance activities. This role will provide strategic advice and negotiation support, ensuring that the Institute is well-placed to meet its strategic objectives in a sustainable and ethical manner.
Duties and responsibilities include:
• Providing high quality legal advice on legal and regulatory issues related to the Institute
• Intellectual Property (IP) management including IP commercialisation
• Negotiating, drafting and reviewing contracts involving the Institute including Material Transfer, Confidentiality, Licensing, Lease, Collaborative research and Funding Agreements
• Manage the policy framework including coordination of the policy library and document control;
• Management of the Institute’s research integrity by ensuring compliance with the Institute’s policies on research conduct, authorship, publications and research data management
• Drive and maintain the Institute’s Privacy Management framework to ensure compliance
We would like to meet you if you have:
• Tertiary qualification(s) in law and admitted to practise as a solicitor in NSW, holding a current practising certificate
• At least 5 years’ experience and demonstrated experience in general commercial law, privacy and IP
• Extensive experience in reviewing, drafting, and negotiating contracts, and general corporate matters including matters relating to governance and risk management
• Exceptional communication skills, both writing and oral
• Strong problem solving, analytical skills, and strategic thinking
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work autonomously, in small teams, and with a wide range of varying stakeholders
• Experience within a medical research institute and/or the not-for-profit sector will be advantageous
What we offer:
• Salary packaging
• State of the art facilities
• Stimulating work setting focussed on cutting edge medical research
• Collaborative team environment
We strive to ensure our staff and students enjoy a great working environment. We value and are committed to providing a working environment that embraces diversity and gender equity and promotes flexible working arrangements for staff to balance working requirements and personal needs.
Come and work with us & help make a difference.
About the organisation
The Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute is dedicated to finding cures for cardiovascular disease through world class medical research. Established in 1994, it is the legacy of legendary heart transplant surgeon Victor Chang. Renowned for the quality of its breakthroughs, the Victor Chang Institute is working to discover better ways to diagnose, treat and ultimately prevent the onset of heart disease.
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Head Governance, Compliance & Legal via Pro Bono Australia.