About the role
You are a highly motivated lawyer with minimum two years’ post admission experience. You have a demonstrated commitment to social justice through your volunteering, work or lived experience and are eager to apply your skills and experience to assist tenants enforce their rights.
- Are admitted to the legal profession in Victoria (or eligible for admission) and have a minimum of two years post admission experience
- Demonstrated experience in legal casework preferably in at least one of civil litigation; commercial law; administrative law and appeals
- Advocacy experience in courts and/or tribunals
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and ability to give practical and accurate legal information and advice
- Excellent inter personal skills and ability to communicate and engage professionally with people experiencing disadvantage
- Demonstrated committed to social justice and a strong community sector
- Sound computer skills relevant to a legal practice environment and willingness to learn new information technologies
- Adaptable, open to change and eager to learn
- Strong attention to detail and outcomes-focussed; calm under pressure and demonstrated ability to allocate priority to competing demands
Desirably you have some knowledge and experience of the housing sector and tenancy law although this is not essential.
About the organisation
Tenants Victoria is a specialist community legal centre based in Fitzroy, Melbourne, supporting tenants in public and private housing and rooming houses. We provide legal advice, referral and representation to tenants and we advocate and campaign for reform to residential tenancy law and practice. Through our education and training programs we support other community agencies build capability to assist their clients.
As an organisation and with our Board and staff we are committed to working to achieve a more just, safe and equitable system of housing - one that supports all citizens to engage fully in society.
With a new incoming CEO and a skilled and committed Board, we are excited about the opportunities ahead for Tenants Victoria to continue and build its contribution to social justice and housing reform.
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Lawyer via Pro Bono Australia.