About the role
- International parental child abduction lawyer
- Interesting and specialised field of law
- Woolloomooloo, NSW
- Part time, 4 days/week (0.8FTE), as soon as possible on or before 27 May 2019.
- Above Award wages and workplace flexibility
The Role Reporting to the Manager of the Legal Service, you will be responsible for the provision of legal advice and case work to clients throughout Australia who are affected by international parental child abduction (IPCA). The Legal Service primarily provides legal advice and assistance by telephone and email, with some face-to-face contact with clients. Your duties include:
- Provision of advice to clients and professionals on our Legal Advice Line regarding IPCA and other international parenting matters;
- Preparation of outgoing return and access applications under the 1980 Hague Convention and applications under the Bilateral Agreements with Egypt and Lebanon;
- Appropriate internal referrals to ISS Australia’s Social Work and Mediation services;
- Liaising with Commonwealth Government stakeholders;
- Provision of training and information about IPCA and the 1980 Hague Convention to professionals, government and non-government organisations.
We offer a flexible work environment, above award wages, salary packing, access to an Employee Assistance Program and workplace health and wellness activities. You will be working in a small team of lawyers who work closely with one another. The Legal Service is comprised of two lawyers in our Melbourne Office and two lawyers in our Sydney Office. About you The ideal candidate will:
- Have a NSW practising certificate, not subject to supervision;
- Have at least two years’ experience in family law;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent legal drafting skills;
- Be looking for flexible working conditions and above award rates;
- Be keen to assist people in times of considerable personal distress.
We are looking for someone who is warm and professional, who is able to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team and is able and open to learning quickly and continuously. We particularly require a candidate who has excellent legal drafting skills. With a view to finding the right candidate, we have set a written task to ensure that the ideal candidate has excellent legal skills. Download the task here.
About the organisation
International Social Service (ISS), Australia’s Legal Service focuses on international parental child abduction law and the 1980 Hague Convention. The service was established in 2012 and is funded by the Commonwealth Attorney-General’s Department. ISS Australia is a small not for profit organisation providing inter-country casework services to families separated by international borders, with a special emphasis on the rights and interests of children. We have an office in Melbourne and an office in Sydney. We form part of the ISS international network represented in over 130 countries worldwide. For further information about ISS Australia, see our website www.iss.org.au.
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Lawyer, international parental child abduction law via Pro Bono Australia.