About the Role
The Director, AimHigh will be responsible for the provision of high-level strategic advice to senior management, and guidance and support to a range of University stakeholders to ensure that UNSW meets its responsibilities with regard to social inclusion and the successful participation of students from disadvantaged backgrounds within higher education.
The AimHigh Unit consists of a cohort of up to 30 staff and this position will report to the Deputy Vice Chancellor, Equity Diversity and Inclusion.
Other role responsibilities include the following:
- Manage, lead and develop the professional staff of AimHigh within an environment that promotes quality and innovation through:
- developing longitudinal and sustained pre-tertiary approaches that build low SES school student capacity to make informed choices about their educational futures, and to make an effective transition to a university suited to their educational goals, including to UNSW.
- identifying and implementing targeted outreach activities that are aligned with University identified widening participation strategic directions and priorities, work to remove/mitigate/ameliorate policies that exclude and/or negatively impact this group and their access to UNSW.
- identifying and developing targeted contextualised entry and alternative pathway programs into UNSW for low SES students.
- implementing a range of AimHigh strategies and programs that are evidence based, innovative and sustainable.
- supporting university first year transition through effective pre-tertiary widening participation program strategies and support programs during first year at UNSW developed in collaboration with other UNSW stakeholders.
- Develop policy and high-level strategic advice on widening participation matters.
- Monitor and provide strategic advice on University-wide initiatives and policy that negatively impact low SES background students’ access to university .
- Provide evidence informed responses to government policy related to student equity, access and participation in higher education as requested by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor Equity Diversity and Inclusion.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- A relevant tertiary qualification, postgraduate studies relevant to the portfolio and/or extensive relevant experience in similar managerial roles or an equivalent level of knowledge gained through any other combination of education, training and/or experience.
- Extensive and current knowledge of the relevant research underpinning widening the participation of underrepresented cohorts in Higher Education
- Proven ability to effectively manage, lead and motivate a range of professional staff within a complex and dynamic project environment.
- Proven ability to collaborate and communicate with a range of internal and external senior stakeholders to develop and implement strategies to increase the access, participation and success of underrepresented student cohorts.
- Proven understanding of matters relating to widening participation, including the relevant evidence base, and current strategic and political environment.
- Proven experience in the provision of sound and timely strategic advice to senior management on matters relating to widening participation, relevant legislative requirements and external reporting requirements.
- Sound knowledge of the Australian school sector and alternate pathways for students into university
- Substantial experience in the development of an evidence-based approach in initiating managing and evaluating innovative widening participation strategies for underrepresented student cohorts within resource and operating constraints.
About the Organisation
- Be part of a university working towards an exciting new strategy
- Be an enabler of collaboration across multiple schools and UNSW
- Senior Appointment – Continuing Full Time
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
The Division of Equity Diversity and Inclusion was established to enable UNSW to pursue social justice for its students, staff and community and to be recognised as an international exemplar in equity, diversity and inclusion.
AimHigh sits within this Division and has carriage of the integrated strategy to widen access for students from low socio-economic status (SES) backgrounds to UNSW. The AimHigh unit is a portfolio of pre-entry programs, outreach and initiatives supporting UNSW’s commitment to a just society. Its overall aim is to increase access to university, including to UNSW, for students whose low SES backgrounds may make it difficult for them to enter university and who are underrepresented in the tertiary education sector.
Apply for this Job
For details concerning this role, please contact
Phone : 0293858911
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Director, AimHigh Unit via Pro Bono Australia.