About the role
We are looking for an Executive Director with the passion and experience to lead PIJI’s efforts to secure a sustained and viable future for public interest journalism in Australia. PIJI is a newly established initiative and unique in the Australian context. It is governed by an influential, networked and motivated Board.
The Executive Director is responsible for the development and management of the Public Interest Journalism Initiative [PIJI]. Understanding of, and experience in, journalism and the media industry is desirable but not essential.
The Executive Director must have experience in devising and implementing strategy; operational oversight; collaborating with individuals and organisations; influencing influencers at a senior level; policy development, with a firm understanding of the levers of power; working with Government to have new policies adopted; and ensuring the viability and success of the Initiative over time.
It is a full-time position, reporting directly to the PIJI Board. Located preferably in Melbourne, although other locations may be considered.
- Development of PIJI’s strategy and its effective implementation.
- Oversight of PIJI’s research and public policy development.
- Coordinating PIJI’s advocacy and its related efforts to nurture informed public discourse.
- Developing and maintaining strong, respectful relationships with government; industry stakeholders; research and organisational collaborators/partners; and supporters, including funders.
- Building PIJI’s profile and public standing as a respected research and public policy advocate.
- Ensuring that PIJI’s governance and management are of the highest standards.
- Ensuring that public confidence in PIJI’s independence is developed and preserved.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications and/or equivalent experience.
- Proven record in working with Boards and high-profile Board members.
- High level strategic ability and substantial experience in leading and managing a small, results-driven organisation whether in the private or not-for-profit sector.
- Demonstrable experience in successful public policy development and advocacy.
- A demonstrated record of working with government, industry and community stakeholders in developing collaborative research and related public policy.
- Demonstrated experience in fostering public discourse and debate
- Proven managerial and organisational skills with a demonstrated capacity to build a strong team in a demanding environment.
- Experienced in financial oversight and management.
- Understanding of, and experience in, journalism and the media industry.
- Experience in managing donor relationships.
Remuneration: to be negotiated with the successful candidate commensurate with this leadership position.
About the organisation
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Executive Director via Pro Bono Australia.