About the Role
Leading the NDS communications team, the Head of Communications is responsible for: internal and external communications; publications; media; and campaigns. The role supports NDS’s Chief Executive to achieve strategic and corporate objectives of the organisation, increase engagement with key stakeholders and drive advocacy.
Key roles and responsibilities:
- Develop and implement consistent and clear communications strategies and activities across the organisation
- Drive and govern the NDS brand as the voice of disability service providers
- Oversee all communication channels including online and social media
- Oversee development and release of all publications
- Develop and lead NDS campaigns as required
- Develop a strong and multi-layered internal communications strategy which positively impacts organisational culture
- Cultivate and manage strong relationships with key national, metropolitan and regional media, and media advisers in relevant parliamentary offices
- Collaborate with senior NDS colleagues to ensure the communications team is meeting the needs of staff and members
- Lead a continued development and improvement process of the NDS website and all current and future communication channels
- Oversee the interface between NDS’s CRM and CMS in partnership with NDS’s Chief Financial Officer
- Support the NDS Events team with marketing and promotion
- Support the NDS CEO in their communications activities, including engagement with media
- Manage NDS’s relationships with external contractors e.g.: web development, PR agencies – working with internal stakeholders when relevant
- Other duties as required
- A demonstrable record of developing and managing integrated communication strategies within complex environments and limited budgets;
- More than 5 years’ experience across corporate communications, media relations, brand management and marketing;
- Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong stakeholder management skills with a demonstrated ability to effectively consult and negotiate with a range of stakeholders to achieve beneficial outcomes;
- High level understanding of digital, online and social media channels;
- Highly developed strategic planning and analytical skills;
- Experience in both project and agency management;
- Experience with issues management;
- Ability to develop and maintain media networks;
- Experience in leading a team;
- Commitment to social justice; and
- Enthusiastic, collaborative, flexible and able to take a hands-on approach.
- Tertiary qualifications in communication, journalism, public relations or a related field
- Understanding of the disability sector and not for profit human services
Related government or peak body experience
About the Organisation
National Disability Services (NDS) is Australia’s industry association for disability services, representing over 1,000 non-government organisations. Collectively, our members operate several thousand services for people with all types of disability. NDS’s members range in size from small support groups to large multi-service organisations, and are located in every state and territory across Australia.
NDS promotes the full inclusion of people with disability and this commitment is outlined in our Disability Action Plan.
Apply for this Job
Interested applicants should send a cover letter relating their experience to each of the Key Attributes, together with their resume, to:
Human Resources Manager
Ph: (02) 9256 3104
Fax: (02) 9256 3123
Closing date is 30 June 2019
NDS is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people with disability.
Please quote in application: Head of Communications via Pro Bono Australia.