About the role
- Undertake initial training for the role and attend two further training sessions a year as part of an commitment to ongoing training and skill development
- Observe the host governance principles (overleaf) at all times
- Manage the online booking system
- Welcome guests and orientate them to the property and the services available at The Retreat
- Organise and provide breakfast and an afternoon snack for guests and conduct housekeeping and management duties as required to maintain a high level of cleanliness and order
- Liaise with outside contractors such as cleaners and tradespeople as required
- Report to the Director and other volunteers on bookings, incidents, issues, maintenance and grounds requirements and any debriefing requirements
- Conduct a ‘closure meeting’ with guests at departure, providing referral to others services as required
About the organisation
Conceived as a place of renewal by nature, The Retreat is a bed and breakfast experience set in 53 acres of granite and native bushland adjacent to the Mt Cathedral Range in Buxton, 90mins east of Melbourne. The Retreat was recently nominated for and subsequently won the 2019 award for “The Most Outstanding Life Renewal Concept in Australia.”
The Retreat is available to retail visitors and people in recovery from life trauma. We will host up to 90,000 visitors in the coming 30 years.
To fund the work of The Retreat, there will be mintream, retail use of the space by airbnb and website visitors who book a bed and breakfast experience. Guests will be referred through a number of partner organisations such as Ronald McDonald House, ADRA, the Emergency Services Foundation and Carers Victoria (all subject to final service agreements).
The Host is the cornerstone role at The Retreat, setting the tone for the overall guest experience. The Host role is a collaboration between a team of two who will between them undertake the key tasks required to achieve The Retreat’s mission. For a period to be negotiated, subject to your availability, hosts will organise and oversight the overall day to day running of The Retreat.
 Awarded by NDIS/disability advocacy group “Disability Update”
How to apply for this role
Please contact Nic Bolto on 0488 656 205 for further information or email your CV with a cover letter outlining your:
- experience in hospitality or similar roles
- expectation of service, that is, how long you would be available for the role and what breaks you would require during the time you occupy the role, for example, two weekends off a month
Please quote in application: Host at The Retreat via Pro Bono Australia.