About the role
GetUp is looking for a Media Director.
This is a permanent, full time contract ideally based in Sydney. However, we are open to flexible arrangements for the right candidate.
Prior relevant experience will determine whether this position will be classified as a SCHADS classification level 8 ($95,877 – $116,306 per annum + superannuation) or an Executive level position ($117,103 – $146,885 per annum + superannuation).
At GetUp, we know our capacity to drive progressive change is increased when our team has a diversity of backgrounds and experience. We are always actively looking for applicants from a diverse range of genders, cultures, language groups, abilities, and experiences to apply.
Who is the Media Team
GetUp’s Media Team is all over the top rating news items of the day, as well as the organisation’s brand positioning and story in the Australian political landscape. The team drives media and brand strategy on our campaigns to achieve real-world impact, responds to PR issues as and when they arise, and trains our campaigners as strong media spokespeople for the organisation, as well as develops and supports more diverse voices from affected communities.
The Media Director will:
- Determine and drive media and brand strategy in accordance with team goals and organisational strategy;
- Determine appropriate courses of action to the latest news and developments, including crisis response;
- Support expert campaigners to achieve earned media that drives real-world impact;
- Ensure media and brand work is appropriately researched, planned for and evaluated;
- Proactively manage and evaluate the media team budget;
- Lead on engagement strategies with journalists and other key media stakeholders;
- Managing the media team to success, including setting and monitoring work outcomes.
You will be someone who is:
- passionate about growing and strengthening a movement of everyday people committed to creating change on progressive issues;
- has at least six years experience working in or around traditional media;
- is an exceptional communicator who thrives in an extremely fast-paced office environment;
- has relationships with key media organisations and journalists, including the Canberra press gallery;
- has demonstrated experience setting and executing media and brand strategy;
- is committed to getting more diverse voices in our media, including those of affected communities;
- has a proven track record in media management in crisis response.
Bonus points for:
- Experience navigating communications strategy through engagement with government, regulatory bodies and statutory authorities.
If even a couple of these criteria speak to you, you could be the perfect person for the job. Formal education, qualifications and extensive experience matter less to us than excellence, initiative and drive.
Please apply by 12pm Monday 19 August.
About the organisation
The GetUp movement is powered by the values and hopes of one million members, movement partners and a central team of expert strategists. Together, we do whatever it takes to make extraordinary impact.
We focus our campaigns on the areas our members care about most in the fields of Environmental Justice, Human Rights, Economic Fairness, First Nations Justice and Democratic Integrity. From making sure hundreds of thousands of people are able to vote in elections, to successfully stopping major projects threatening the Great Barrier Reef, or securing billions of dollars in new funding for mental health – we have a decade-long history of taking on powerful interests, and winning.
How to apply for this role
To apply, please visit Work at GetUp.
Please quote in application: Media Director via Pro Bono Australia.