About the role
- Permanent Full time
- 19 Day month
Hume City Council’s Maternal Child Health team has an exciting opportunity for a Social Worker to be part of our Enhanced Maternal Child Health Team. The role is responsible for working in conjunction with Maternal Child Health Nurses and Parent Support Workers with families in their homes, in a partnership approach. This approach builds the capacity to consider both parent and child’s social, emotional and safety through counselling and advocacy. This position plays a vital role in the Enhanced Maternal Child and Health team.
Our service is comprised of a dedicated multidisciplinary team, including Enhanced MCH nurses, Parent Support Worker, Social Worker, and the Universal MCH team, with highly supportive admin staff. You will need to be a flexible and dynamic individual who enjoys the challenge and variety of working with a diverse community within the Enhanced Home Visiting team.
We are committed to delivering innovative services and aim to achieve the empowerment of families with improved parenting attachment, competence, and confidence.
We are seeking a candidate with the desire to make a valued contribution and a genuine commitment to the wellbeing of the community.
To be successful you will need:
- Tertiary qualifications in Social Work and be eligible for membership with the Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW)
- Demonstrated counselling skills; experience in supporting people
- Knowledge of systems related to advocacy and support
- Understanding of contemporary issues regarding violence against families and individuals in policy and practice
- Excellent negotiation and advocacy skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent computer skills
- Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team with a range of professionals and people within the community
- An understanding of diversity and an ability to work effectively with a wide range of people from diverse backgrounds to provide culturally sensitive practice
- Experience working with interpreters
- Current Working with Children’s Check
- Current driver’s license and have access to own vehicle
In addition, we are seeking someone with the following skills, abilities, and qualities:
- Conduct 1:1 home visiting support to eligible families
- Ability to provide secondary consultations to other members of the Maternal Child Health Team
- Work across a wide multi-cultural community
- Strong emotional intelligence
- Well-developed reflective practice and awareness of self
- Ability to develop and maintain respectful and cooperative relationships
- Commitment to quality customer service and improvement
- Work collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team, engaging with internal and external stakeholders to support improved outcomes for families
What We Offer
With our high level of employee engagement, Hume City Council offers a great working environment where you can develop your career. We offer flexible work arrangements and other benefits, such as study assistance and interest free loans for public transport. Our strong commitment to social justice and the environment provides opportunities for employees to participate in various programs.
About the organisation
Hume City Council is a leader in local government and is recognised for its innovation, initiative, leadership, service, quality, and support for its people.
Hume City is one of Australia's fastest-growing communities and with more people choosing to call Hume home, we're expected to welcome more than 57,000 new residents to our City over the next decade.
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Enhanced Social Worker via Pro Bono Australia.