About the role
- You will be a key member of the Caritas Australia’s Humanitarian and Emergencies Group (HEG), and primarily responsible for overseeing Caritas Australia’s humanitarian response in the Asia and Africa regions.
- Working to empower CA’s partners and communities to prepare for, respond to and mitigate disasters.
- Represent CA and CAN DO (when appropriate) on DFAT AHP forums and Response Committee meetings.
- On occasion, you will also provide cover for the HEG Manager during times of travel and/or leave.
You will thrive and be successful in this role if you have:
- Relevant post-graduate qualification in development, humanitarian, environmental science or related area and demonstrated experience
- Demonstrated ability working in partnership with local organisations in development and humanitarian programs to collaborate, negotiate and lead a team in humanitarian emergencies.
- Demonstrated experience in both the design and implementation and managing DRR/DRM programs, facilitating, delivering community based DRR trainings.
- Significant experience in supervising, mentoring staff, and accompanying partners, have a thorough understanding of the humanitarian challenges facing countries and communities across Africa and Asia.
- Demonstrated capacity to work in remote and difficult situations when deployed to respond to an emergency and often under pressure in crisis environments. Capacity and willingness to be deployed to humanitarian emergencies at short notice as well as extensive travel potentially for more than one month in case of large-scale crisis; often within 24-48 hours’ notice.
- Excellent skills in communication, analysis, mediation, conflict-resolution, report writing, and handling media.
- Strong commitment to the Mission of Caritas Australia and the ethos and values of the Catholic Church and Catholic Social Teachings.
About the organisation
Caritas Australia is the Catholic agency for international humanitarian relief and development in Australia. Through effective relationships with the Church, partners and communities in Africa, Asia, the Pacific and Australia, Caritas Australia helps to end poverty, promote justice and uphold dignity. We envisage a world in which children, women and men most vulnerable to extreme poverty and injustice are agents of their own change and architects of their own development.
How to apply for this role
How to Apply for this role
To apply for this role, please visit https://www.caritas.org.au/jobs and view the full Position Description. Please send your application to email@example.com by COB Monday 26th August 2019 with a subject line which indicates the role title and channel through which you found the ad (e.g. Senior Program Coordinator HEG via PRObono).
Applications must specify Australian residency or work visa status and include a CV, Cover Letter and responses to the Selection Criteria set out in the Position Description.
For further information please contact Melville Fernandez – 0429 995 278.
Caritas Australia is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Caritas Australia welcomes and encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants for all advertised positions.
Caritas Australia recognises the personal dignity and rights of children towards whom it has a special responsibility and duty of care and respect. The successful candidate will be required to undergo a National Criminal History Record Check and Working with Children Check.
Please quote in application: Senior Program Coordinator – Humanitarian Emergencies Group (HEG) via Pro Bono Australia.