About the role
The Director of Strategic Communications and Engagement is responsible for leading communications, marketing and engagement work to achieve the shared goals of the AAB and IIA in developing the market for impact investing in and from Australia. An important part of the role is providing support for increasing awareness and participation in the Impact Investment Ready Growth Grant, a program designed to foster social enterprise development.
The position requires strong written and verbal communication skills, marketing credentials and an ability to develop and deliver a comprehensive communications strategy which underpins successful strategic business outcomes. Critical to the role is the capability to manage relationships with multiple cross-sector and often senior stakeholders within the context of the highly dynamic environment of impact investing.
Ideally, the successful candidate will have had previous exposure to impact investing and/or experience with an organisation delivering social impact.
As part of a lean and dynamic team, this is an exciting opportunity for a suitably experienced person to manage two internationally recognised and respected brands and play a key role in growing the impact investing market in and from Australia.
- Development and implementation of a marketing, communications, education and engagement strategy in support of the field building objectives of AAB/IIA.
- Development and championing of consistent messaging which deepens understanding of impact investing and inspires and drives stakeholders to action.
- Management and development of the AAB and IIA brands and brand assets to differentiate and position the organisations appropriately.
- Management and production of content which optimises AAB/IIA’s brand presence and messaging across a variety of channels including traditional media, digital platforms/tools, publications and events.
- Implementation of the Growth Grant communication strategy including through content production and stakeholder engagement.
- Management of external contractors and volunteers working on communication activities.
- Contribution to business development strategy and initiatives.
- Communications strategy with partner organisations which may involve communication for events and content production.
The role may also require other activities related to the strategy and operations of Impact Investing Australia and the Australian Advisory Board on Impact Investing.
Key skills and experience:
Tertiary qualifications in communications, journalism, marketing or public relations or an allied discipline together with subsequent relevant work experience; or extensive experience and management expertise in strategic communications.
Preferred candidates will bring to the role:
- Excellent written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to produce compelling content, stories and articles for a broad range of audiences.
- A proven ability to translate complex concepts into appropriate messaging to effectively inform and influence diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated knowledge of media operations and extensive experience in dealing with social, electronic, and print media to facilitate a positive image of an organisation.
- Demonstrated achievements in public relations advice and communications messaging and planning.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement successful marketing initiatives and approaches with key target audiences.
- Highly developed relationship building skills with the ability to effectively negotiate, coordinate, cooperate and develop and maintain positive relationships with a diverse group of people, media and stakeholders/partners.
- Experience or understanding of impact investing and/or social impact is highly desirable.
- Computer literacy in MS Office suite and experience in email marketing platforms and in maintaining websites.
About the organisation
The Australian Advisory Board on Impact Investing (AAB) provides leadership and strategy for accelerating the growth of the impact investment market in Australia. The Board comprises a number of Australia’s most experienced leaders spanning the finance, business, not for profit, philanthropic and community sectors.
Impact Investing Australia (IIA) is an independent organisation supporting the AAB in growing the opportunities for investments that deliver positive social and environmental impact alongside a financial return. Our vision is for a healthy, equitable and prosperous Australia, supported by a dynamic market for impact investing that expands opportunities and creates innovative solutions to pressing societal challenges.
The AAB and IIA were established in 2014 in response to an industry-identified need for dedicated leadership, facilitation and capacity building. From social enterprises and not for profit organisations in need of capital, to investors wanting to achieve social impact, we provide a focal point for market development in Australia, as well as participating in efforts to grow the global market for impact investing.
How to apply for this role
Please send applications to email@example.com with subject line: Director of Strategic Communications. Applications will be assessed as they are received so applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. An immediate start date is preferred.
Applications close on Friday 25 October 2019.
Please quote in application: Director of Strategic Communications and Engagement via Pro Bono Australia.