About the role
GetUp is looking for a First Nations Justice Campaign Director to lead the organisation’s First Nations Justice team and campaigns work.
SCHADS Classification Level 8, salary range $98,752.68 – $102,925.68 per annum (pro-rata) + superannuation, determined by relevant experience and qualifications.
This is a permanent, full time contract ideally based in Sydney or Brisbane. However, we are open to flexible arrangements for the right candidate.
This is an identified position only open to people identifying as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander. GetUp considers that being Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander is a genuine occupational requirement for this position under s14 of the AntiDiscrimination Act 1977 (NSW). Additionally the filling of this position/these positions is intended to constitute a special/equal opportunity measure under section 8(1) of the Racial Discrimination Act 1975 (Cth).
At GetUp, we know our capacity to drive progressive change is increased when our team has a diversity of backgrounds and experience – and especially comes from a background of lived experience on the issues we work on.
Who is the First Nations Justice Team
GetUp’s First Nations Justice Team of talented campaigners lead the organisation’s work on issues that impact Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and communities. The team prides itself on deep strategic thinking and strong engagement with impacted communities, while inspiring and mobilising the diversity of people across our movement towards change.
Our days are filled with analysing the political state of play, developing long-term and rapid-fire strategy, engaging with politicians, media and First Nations communities, spotting the right moment to intervene, running impactful tactics including everything from protests to undercover investigations, writing hard-hitting copy, and coming up with creative ways to give our members the best chance for impact.
The First Nations Justice Campaigns Director will:
- Lead a team of campaigners to devise and deliver First Nations Justice campaigns which:
- achieve demonstrable social change outcomes for First Nations communities;
- put impacted communities and their allies at the heart of our theory of power and change;
- see our movement and supporter base grow and diversify, and their enthusiasm and capacity for action on First Nations issues increase;
- enact campaigning best practice, including innovatively combining digital and offline campaign techniques;
- are informed by a strong justice lens.
- Manage a team of first-rate campaigners, driving a supportive, motivated and safe team culture, setting and achieving clear collective and individual goals, supporting evaluation and learning;
- Drive our messaging and communications to First Nations communities, growing GetUp’s supporter base of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people;
- Ensure members are contributing meaningfully to our work, whilst judiciously managing your team budget to ensure member contributions are spent for maximum impact;
- Effectively engage a vast array of stakeholders across different communities, sectors, the media, and in Parliament;
- Contribute to the organisation’s election, organisational and other campaign strategies; and
- Inspire GetUp members to diversify and grow our powerful movement.
You will be someone who has/is:
- a deep understanding of the issues facing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and a demonstrated commitment to justice for First Nations peoples;
- a demonstrated track record of working collaboratively and communicating effectively with and within Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities;
- adept at thinking through complex politics and communicating simply and clearly, who thrives in a fast-paced office environment;
- capable of working autonomously on a range of varied tasks and projects, and takes the initiative doing whatever it takes to get the job done;
- a formidable manager who knows how to take care of their staff and can coordinate a team to success, celebrate and evaluate; and
- passionate about growing and strengthening a movement of everyday people committed to creating change on issues impacting First Nations peoples.
Bonus points for:
- Experience in GetUp-style online campaigning; and
- Experience working in the media cycle.
If even a couple of these criteria speak to you, you could be the perfect person for the job. Formal education, qualifications and extensive experience matter less to us than excellence, initiative and drive.
Applications will be processed on an ongoing basis.
About the organisation
Who is GetUp
The GetUp movement is powered by the values and hopes of one million members, movement partners and a central team of expert strategists. Together, we do whatever it takes, with fierce integrity, to make extraordinary impact.
We focus our campaigns on the areas our members care about most in the fields of Environmental Justice, Human Rights, Economic Fairness, First Nations Justice and Democratic Integrity. From making sure hundreds of thousands of people are able to vote in elections, to successfully stopping major projects threatening the Great Barrier Reef, or fighting against an offshore regime of detention and deterrence of people seeking asylum – we have a decade-long history of mobilising a movement to really win.
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: First Nations Justice Campaign Director (Identified Position) via Pro Bono Australia.