About the role
The Youth Participation and Advocacy Coordinator is responsible for managing the Centre’s youth participation initiatives, and for continuing to position the Centre as leaders in best practice in youth participation and advocacy. The Centre works directly with young people who have experience of out-of-home care, homelessness, and intersecting forms of disadvantage. We believe strongly in ethical youth participation, and we think carefully about privilege, power and perspective when engaging young people.
As we expand our vision and work under the auspices of the Young Leaders Program, we are looking for someone who can support the Centre to run workshops and initiatives for young people (aged 16-25) with lived experience. We are looking for an individual who has experience working with young people who have experienced disadvantage, has project management skills, and is a big picture thinker. This role allows for creative freedom and innovation, and offers the chance to work in an exciting and fast-moving space within the community sector.
If you fit some of our criteria but not all, please get in touch – this may be the role for you.
Salary: $78,114.40 pro rata
- Design and plan pop-up workshops for young people who often don’t have a voice. These may be around campaigning, advocacy, media, social media, professional skills, safe storytelling
- Seek out guest speakers and facilitators and support them in understanding how to work safely and ethically with young people
- Work alongside member organisations and intersecting sectors to identify young people who may be interested in participating
- Consult with young people to discover their needs, wants and how the program can benefit them best
- Act as a support person for young people during workshops, and mitigate risk where necessary
- Support young people when they receive opportunities through the Centre’s projects and events
Organisation and Member Support
- Working with each team and project manager within the Centre to continue implementing effective participation and advisory methods across the organisation
- Collaborating with member organisations, adjacent sector organisations, government and other stakeholders on consultations and events with young people
- Manage the project’s budget and investigate different funding opportunities, including philanthropic funding options
- Managing the expectations of and reporting to philanthropic funders and other key stakeholders
- Continue work on a set of youth participation frameworks and models for the child and family services sector and adjacent sectors
- Pitch, produce and run relevant forums, events, and conferences related to elevating the voices and expertise of young people and the importance of client participation
- Collaborate with colleagues on Centre projects to ensure that ethical participation is being conducted across the organization, and to identify new opportunities
Skills and Experience
The successful applicant will have:
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in social work, youth work, or other related areas and/or proven experience working with young people
- Experience working with groups of young people who have experienced disadvantage or marginalisation
- Previous work with NFPs, community organisations or a peak body
- Experience working or volunteering in an advocacy or campaigning role
- Ability to facilitate group sessions and workshops effectively
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated experience working with and supporting young people
- Ability to adapt to changing circumstances and problem-solve where needed
- Experience working well in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to prioritise and forward plan
- Experience managing expectations of key stakeholders, members and organisations
- Basic knowledge around utilizing Facebook and Twitter
- Strong administrative skills and the ability to create processes along the way
Conditional Employment Requirements
- Satisfactory police check
- Satisfactory Working with Children check
About the organisation
The Centre for Excellence in Child and Family Welfare (CFEFCW) is a not-for-profit peak body for child and family service organisations in Victoria. We advocate for children, young people and families and provide training, research and networking opportunities to the sector. We focus on the voices of young people in foster, kinship and residential care in Victoria.
The Centre is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace, and to the health, wellbeing and cultural safety of our staff. We encourage applicants of any background, culture, gender, and experience to apply – we don’t discriminate. We strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Youth Participation and Advocacy Coordinator via Pro Bono Australia.