About the role
The senior civil Lawyer should have a minimum of 4 years post-admission experience practising in areas of law relevant to VALS’ civil law practice. This should include 12 months practice on an unsupervised practising certificate.
The senior civil lawyer is required to provide high quality legal services, including information, advice, representation, casework, negotiation and dispute resolution, and outreach services in a range of different civil law matters on behalf of members of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community in Victoria.
The senior civil lawyer will be required to work closely with the civil team’s principal lawyer around the coordination and delivery of range of projects, policy and law reform initiatives, strategic litigation work, and community and professional legal education programs.
About the organisation
VALS was established as a community-controlled organisation in 1973 to address the over-representation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in the criminal justice system. The organisation has a long and proud history of providing legal and service support for Aboriginal Victorians who are experiencing or at risk of experiencing negative contact with the justice system and advocating locally, nationally and internationally for the rights of Aboriginal people.
We strive to:
• Promote social justice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples;
• Promote the right of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to empowerment, identity and culture;
• Ensure that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples enjoy their rights, are aware of their responsibilities under the law and have access to appropriate advice, assistance and representation;
• Reduce the disproportionate involvement of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in the criminal justice system; and
• Promote the review of legislation and other practices which discriminate against Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
The organisation has grown over the years (with further expansion options being pursued) and now offers criminal, family and civil law services, client services support, community legal education and a range of community justice support programs in both Victoria and Tasmania.
How to apply for this role
To apply for this opportunity, please provide:
- a covering letter outlining who you are and why you are suited to this position
- a statement addressing each of the key selection criteria – applications submitted without a statement addressing the key selection criteria will not be accepted. Please note the key selection criteria is found within the position description.
- your resume detailing your education and professional experience and two referees
Please submit your application to email@example.com using the subject line: Senior Lawyer – Civil Law and Human Rights
Please apply by midnight Sunday 23rd February 2020
Please quote in application: Senior Lawyer – Civil Law and Human Rights via Pro Bono Australia.