About the role
In February 2020, the board endorsed a new 2030 strategy for Engineers Without Borders, Australia. This is an exciting strategy which sees the organisation consolidate and build on its strengths and refocus on the importance of engineering technological solutions that improve lives and the world we live in. The strategy articulates an urgent call to action and a recognition of the role that engineers, and the engineering community can play in leading change.
The Finance and Operations team is integral to this work, by providing and leading accounting, compliance, risk, legal, HR, IT and office management across all the countries we work in, including Australia, Cambodia, Timor Leste and Vanuatu.
The Finance and Operations Lead is to primarily provide reporting and analysis on financial information as well as provide financial and operational services for the organisation.
The role is also key in supporting the annual budgeting and audit process.
They will also be involved in the development, implementation and ensuring compliance of policies and procedures, risk management, financial modelling, identifying and implementing systems improvements, grant acquittals and reviews, due diligence as well as ad hoc financial and operational projects, as and when required. There may also be involvement in HR, IT and legal matters.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Ensuring month end accounts and reports are completed and analysed at the organisational and project level, including forecasting and cash flow.
- Supporting the annual budget and audit process.
- All policies and procedures are current and fit for purpose, there is compliance and when necessary, providing training.
- Financial aspect of grant acquittals and proposals
- Due diligence and financial reviews of partner organisations.
- Identifying and implementing new system improvements.
- Providing risk and other operational support to the organisation.
With an Accounting or Commerce degree, CPA or CA qualified, or studying towards your accounting qualification, you will have demonstrated success in and/or proven knowledge of:
- At least 5 years practical work experience in accounting
- Audit and/or internal audit
- Sound current knowledge of Australian accounting standards and reporting requirements
- Proven ability to prepare and deliver financial reports
- Policy review, creation and implementation
- System and procedure improvements
- Compliance – statutory, organizational policies and procedures
- Experience working with major accounting software packages.
- working cross-organisationally, supporting teams and using excellent people management skills to achieve shared goals.
- Be a self starter, an independent worker
- Be able to join the dots as well as think outside the box
- Have demonstrated an ability to:
- develop strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- work in a changing, complex and demanding environment, overseas experience a plus
- meet urgent deadlines
- eye for detail
- Have excellent computer literacy, especially Excel skills
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills
About the organisation
Engineers Without Borders Australia (EWB) is a member-based, for-purpose organisation with our National Office and staff team located in Melbourne and volunteer chapters in Melbourne, Perth, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and ACT.
EWB works within Australia and overseas to improve the knowledge and physical resources of people in need via grassroots engineering programs, capacity development, and sector leadership.
With over fifteen years’ experience, EWB has three major focus areas:
- developing technology to alleviate poverty and accelerate inclusive sustainable development;
- redefining engineering as a profession providing stewardship and leadership for a more equitable and sustainable world and;
- inspiring and mobilising a global community who believe in a world where technology benefits all.
At EWB, we strongly believe that every engineer can be a change agent for a socially
just and sustainable world. This belief drives EWB to lead a movement of like-minded individuals and companies working together to ensure technology is developed to make the world a better place for all.
How to apply
Please provide CV to Miho Yoneyama : email@example.com
Applications will be reviewed as received and the role will be held open until the candidate has been appointed. If you have any questions about the position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote in application: Finance and Operations Lead (Senior Accountant) via Pro Bono Australia.