About the role
Puntukurnu Aboriginal Medical Service (PAMS) aims to improve the standard of health of the Martu people and all Aboriginal people living in the East Pilbara region of Western Australia through the provision of community based, comprehensive primary health care services.
We exist to promote the health and well-being of individual community members and to relieve sickness and the suffering of the indigenous community as a whole. We are passionate about providing the highest standard of patient care whilst incorporating a holistic approach toward diagnosis and management of illness.
At PAMS, we are thrilled to be opening a brand-new, purpose-built medical clinic in Newman, WA which is positioned to provide essential health services to the population of Newman with particular focus on the local Aboriginal community.
The Human Resource Advisor reports to and is directly accountable to the Operations Manager. This position is responsible for providing high quality support to the management team, and employees of the Puntukurnu Aboriginal Medical Service (PAMS) with flexible, timely and effective human resource advisory and strategic services to assist them in meeting their business objectives.
- Provide consultancy and advisory services to management and employees on HR management issues together with the interpretation of relevant Acts, Regulations, Awards, Industrial Agreements and Legislation related to HR and the provision of advice on contemporary HR matters.
- Where appropriate, provide information and advice on Human Resources Management issues to employees and ensure effective communication with all employees to maintain ethical and transparent working relationships.
- Coordinate regular meetings with allocated line managers and provide HR related support to their respective work units on workplace related issues.
- In consultation with the Chief Executive Officer, provide advice to management on organisation structural issues.
- Facilitate organisational development activities to promote organisational effectiveness and workplace reform.
- Source and/or facilitate relevant training programs information sessions for management and employees on a variety of human resource management issues.
- Manage and monitor HR compliance and undertake general HR administrative functions.
- Contribute to the development, implementation and revaluation of human resource policies, strategies, procedures and practices which are consistent with the objectives of the PAMS Strategic Plan and based on relevant legislation and contemporary HR management practices.
The occupant of this position will be expected to comply with and demonstrate a positive commitment to the highest level of achievement in Equal Employment Opportunity, Work Health & Safety, Code of Conduct, Quality Improvement, Performance Management, Client Focus and Confidentiality throughout the course of their duties.
You will ideally possess the following:
- Demonstrated experience in a generalist HR Advisor role (minimum of two years) with a sound knowledge of contemporary HR practices including knowledge and understanding of relevant standards and legislations.
- Possession of a tertiary qualification in Human Resources or a related field.
- Previous experience in the provision of generalist human resource activities including knowledge and understanding of relevant standards and legislations.
- Proven ability to understand and apply human resources functions and practices.
- Able to interpret legislation, regulations, Awards and Industrial Agreements together with policy and procedures.
- Demonstrated change management experience and the ability to operate in a complex and challenging divergent environment.
- An ability to interact with management and employees at all levels of the organisation in the resolution of HR issues.
- Ideally the person is of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent and is acknowledged as such by their community.
- Understanding the challenges and issues including social determinants affecting Aboriginal people’s health in contemporary Australian society.
About the Benefits
While you will face diverse new challenges in the role, you will also enjoy an attractive remuneration package including a base salary of $83,964 – $96,350 per annum plus superannuation. You’ll also gain access to generous salary packaging options, which will greatly increase your take home pay. In addition, you will have access to a number of fantastic benefits including:
- Relocation Assistance
- Mobile Phone Allowance
- 2x return paid flights from Newman to place of origin within Australia per financial year
- 5 weeks’ annual leave + 17.5% leave loading
- Support to further invest in your career
- Employee Assistance Program
- Retention Initiatives in accordance with the PAMS Employee Remuneration Policy
This position offers the opportunity to work closely with remote Aboriginal communities and make a drastic impact to the health and well-being outcomes of these communities.
The position involves working within a multicultural organisation where the majority of staff, clients and stakeholders identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander. Candidates must be able to demonstrate an understanding of the issues affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and their ability to communicate sensitively and effectively with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
In addition to the above skills and experience, the successful candidate will require an unrestricted WA “C” Class Driver’s Licence, and be required to submit a National Police Clearance (dated within 3 months) and Working With Children Check (where applicable) prior to appointment.
About the organisation
How to apply
Applicants for this position must be legally entitled to work in Australia and will be required to provide evidence of this entitlement. Acceptable evidence includes an Australian or New Zealand passport, birth certificate, or foreign passport with relevant visa.
Please note there is no closing date for this advertisement. Applications will be assessed as received and interviews scheduled accordingly. PAMS reserves the right to withdraw this advertisement without further notice, therefore we encourage interested candidates to submit their application without delay.
For further information about this position please call Lauren Richards, Recruitment Officer on (08) 9227 1631.
As per section 51 of the Equal Opportunity Act 1984 (WA) PAMS actively seeks to increase the diversity of our workforce to better meet the differing needs of our clients and stakeholders and to improve equal opportunity outcomes for our employees.
Please quote in application: Human Resources Advisor via Pro Bono Australia.