About the role
- Full time role making a difference for people in immigration detention
- Can be based in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane or Perth
Humanitarian Observers engage with people in immigration detention facilities and stakeholders within the facilities in order to monitor and assess conditions of detention and identify key issues impacting the treatment, health and welfare of individuals.
In this role, you will provide a high level of representation with senior Department of Immigration officials in order to advocate on humanitarian issues of concern. You will also be responsible for collecting, analysing and reporting observations and evidence regarding humanitarian needs.
What you will bring
- Significant experience in the provision of casework, information, assessment and referral services in the health or community sector
- Demonstrated skills and experience engaging with people who have experienced grief, loss, torture, trauma and / or post-traumatic stress
- Strong observation and analytical skills with a proven capacity to develop evidence based advocacy / humanitarian diplomacy strategies
- High level interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills; ability to work constructively and strategically with authorities at a senior level drawing on Humanitarian Diplomacy tools and actions
- High level written skills and demonstrated ability to prepare timely, clear and concise official reports to authorities, and related correspondence
- Demonstrated capacities to recruit, train, supervise and lead others in a demanding and complex environment
- Capacity to act as visit team leader for team members and volunteers during detention monitoring visits
- Proven experience in operating within a confidential and politically sensitive service environment and managing highly sensitive and confidential material.
Work for purpose, know that the work you do enables Red Cross to support and empower people and communities in times of vulnerability.
You can access flexible working arrangements and generous salary packaging options that can increase your take home pay by paying certain expenses using pre-tax dollars up to $15,900 a year.
About the organisation
Australian Red Cross is part of the largest humanitarian movement in the world seeking to build a better society based on people helping people.
Our Migration Support Programs assist migrants in transition to ensure they have their humanitarian needs met and are participating and included in Australian society.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Humanitarian Observer via Pro Bono Australia.