About the role
Direct reports: 1-2 Manager or Senior Managers; other staff, part time or casual Associates as required.
Reports to: Executive Director, YLab
Status: Full-Time, Permanent
Location: Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane preferred
Salary range: $105,000 – $130,000 + super (commensurate with experience)
About the role
The Director, YLab is a senior member of the YLab team. Day to day the role will involve leading client-facing co-design projects, coaching and training young people in systems thinking and co-design, independently initiating and leading business development with new partners and driving other initiatives that contribute to YLab’s social impact agenda. You will also be responsible for creating relevant tools, resources, processes and training to the broader YLab team on project delivery needs as they arise. You will have extensive experience at a senior level in a consulting environment, independently leading complex projects; balancing timelines, budget, project quality and social impact. You will be a dedicated coach and have extensive experience working with young people with diverse lived experience, focused on providing growth opportunities for the young people you work with. You will be a highly strategic thinker, always considering how to drive additional impact through your work. You will also have experience leading business development and business outcomes with a proven track record of meeting financial and business development targets. You are innovative and interested in solving complex problems through co-design and collaboration.
It is expected that candidates for this role will have many, if not all of these experiences and skills:
- Demonstrated experience in budget management and financial modelling with a proven record of designing and managing budgets to meet organisational objectives
- Experience working with young people with diverse lived experiences
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail with a passion for excellence
- Analytical and problem solving skills with an emphasis on presenting practical and novel solutions for clients
- Leadership and management skills with a proven record of making sound decisions on behalf of a business area, balancing complex priorities
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated business acumen with particular emphasis on innovative business models or social enterprise
- Ability to work independently, self manage and make decisions on behalf of YLab where required
- A professional, collaborative and team based approach
- Ability to use with key workplace tools such as Google apps, Slack etc.
At least 5 years experience in
- consulting, co-design and project management in a fast paced, client-facing environment
- managing complex clients and coaching dynamic project teams
- successfully leading business development activities including conducting research, writing proposals, designing a value proposition for potential clients
Specific Role Responsibilities
- Independently lead concurrent YLab projects so that they achieve the desired impact and are completed on time and within budget with limited direction
- Use best-practice consulting and co-design methodologies to deliver high quality and high impact work
- Establish and coach teams of YLab Associates and Managers and team to design and deliver YLab projects in a way that draws on their relevant lived experiences, capabilities and knowledge.
- Develop and maintain (with limited direction) strong client and stakeholder relationships so that YLab projects meet or exceed their expectations
- Identify, engage and manage contractors, delivery partners and freelancers to ensure YLab projects draw on the required external expertise and knowledge
- Create and codify methods, workshops, and knowledge through project work to contribute to the ongoing development of YLab products and services
- Contribute to YLab’s marketing, communications and events activity as required
- Create relevant tools, resources, processes and training to the broader YLab team on project delivery needs as they arise
- Lead major areas of business development to generate new partnerships that increase revenue in line with YLab’s strategic goals with limited direction
- Identify and drive potential project opportunities with prospective clients through events, meetings, and research
Thought Leadership and Social Impact Expertise
- Develop thought leadership and subject matter expertise in a particular work area for YLab (eg employment, policy and decision making, health and wellbeing), as well as drawing upon/sharing content knowledge across FYA.
- Occasionally produce thought leadership content to be distributed via YLab’s channels
Leadership and Management
- Exercise judgement and decision making to lead areas of organisational operations in line with expertise, providing advice and guidance to the broader YLab team
- Provide expert advice and guidance across FYA, coordinating and leading work across teams where required
- A Working with Children Check is a mandatory requirement of this position.
- Applicants for this role must be an Australian Citizen or have a valid, legal right to work in Australia.
Our work is guided by a commitment to beating injustice and we strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people, young people, people of colour, women, people with disability, people from LGBTIQA+ communities, and more. We acknowledge our sector (philanthropy and nonprofits) has systematically excluded these communities.
About the organisation
YLab is a social enterprise that was founded by FYA in 2016. YLab offers consulting and co-design services to organisations who are looking for better ways to design systems and services for young people. To do this YLab employs over 80 young people across Australia with diverse lived and technical experiences to work on projects. YLab solves problems in employment, policy and decision making, health and wellbeing and First Nations issues, all by putting young people at the centre.
How to apply
Click Apply Now or head to the ‘work with us’ section of our website and follow the application process. Applications close March 22 6pm AEST
Please include a detailed resume (no more than 3 pages) as well as responses to the statements (no more than 500 words for each):
- A description of yourself and what excites you about this role and working for FYA
- An explanation of how your professional experience relates to the desired candidate profile
A position description is attached.
Please quote in application: Director, YLab via Pro Bono Australia.