About the role
ARC Justice is an independent, not-for-profit organisation providing free housing and legal services to vulnerable and disadvantaged people in central Victoria. Their purpose is to ensure equal access to justice for all, which is done by the provision of legal services, community education and law reform aimed at addressing systemic injustice.
Goulburn Valley CLC, a program of ARC Justice, provides free legal advice for people in their community experiencing barriers to accessing justice and who require support with complex legal issues. They also work closely with the Aboriginal community and with services that promote the rights and wellbeing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders.
Benefits & Culture
- Established service with long-term funding
- Flexible working conditions including some capacity for working from home
- Attractive salary with generous packaging benefits
- Additional leave entitlements and professional development opportunities
- Assistance for Child Protection Panel application (where appropriate)
- An organisation of choice with a strong culture of collaboration and learning
The Community Lawyer empowers people through legal solutions. You will join a growing team of dedicated lawyers providing advice to clients in a number of key areas; family violence, child protection, family law and/or civil matters. You will also provide legal outreach to local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.
- Provide high quality legal advice and casework to clients with complex issues
- Provide legal outreach, information and referrals to Aboriginal clients in a multidisciplinary environment
- Develop relationships with partnering organisations and services
- Develop and participate in community legal education programs
- Engage in systemic advocacy and law reform projects
You will be a qualified Lawyer with at least 3 years practicing experience and a passion for human rights. You will have experience in child protection, family violence and family law and preferably experience working in the community sector.
You are able to:
- Deliver high quality, accurate legal advice and manage casework
- Advise clients on civil, family law, family violence and child protection matters
- Work with Aboriginal communities and demonstrate cultural safety
- Develop strong relationships with other supporting organisations/services
- Deliver community legal education to a range of audiences
- Communicate with clients and stakeholders from diverse backgrounds
ARC Justice is an inclusive employer. Members of the LGBTIQ+ community, CALD and Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people, and people with disabilities, are encouraged to apply.
If you want to use your legal skills to enhance the rights of vulnerable people living in rural and regional Victoria please submit your resume together with a cover letter responding to the skills required section above quoting reference 699942. Alternatively, please call Anna Skeels on 03 8080 8976 for a confidential discussion.
About the organisation
How to apply
Please quote in application: Community Lawyer - Goulburn Valley via Pro Bono Australia.