About the role
- Full time, fixed-term Grade 2 Occupational Therapy position until November 2021
- Great opportunity to join an expanding service, and an innovative occupational therapy team
- Based in Port Phillip Prison, Laverton
- Great salary packaging conditions and leave entitlements
- Free onsite parking
The Occupational Therapist will autonomously plan, implement, evaluate and document Occupational Therapy assessment and treatment and undertake required duties as a member of the multi-disciplinary team, including provide leadership to the unit group program. This will include Occupational Therapy specific assessments and interventions, formal and informal group activities designed to develop/maintain opportunities for engagement in meaningful occupations, skill development and to support the therapeutic milieu of the environment.
- Assesses, interprets and intervenes to improve occupational performance through identifying individual needs based on functional deficits and strengths, and through promoting occupational choices.
- Focuses on the development of life roles and skills required by patients for community adaptation, including a responsible attitude about health care and offending behaviours.
- Contributes to the creation of a therapeutic environment where decision-making, adaptive functional behaviour and independent living can be practised as practicable.
- Participates in the general assessment and treatment of patients through group work and individual sessions, making a strong discipline-specific contribution to the clinical team’s understanding of the patient and her/his situation.
- Manages the planning, implementation and evaluation of the group program in collaboration with the multi-disciplinary team and the unit manager.
Skills and experience:
- An ability to motivate others and to promote learning and creative problem solving.
- Demonstrated commitment to mental health consumer recovery.
- Demonstrated skills in the mental health field, knowledge and understanding of the current occupational therapy approaches in working with mentally ill people.
- Awareness of the issues of care delivery in forensic mental health within both prison and hospital environments.
- Demonstrated ability to establish rapport and to work collaboratively, flexibly and responsibly with patients and with all members of the multi-disciplinary team.
Mandatory qualifications & registrations:
- Approved degree in Occupational Therapy recognised for membership of OT Australia – Australian Association of Occupational Therapists.
- Registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulations Agency (AHPRA)
- The successful candidate will be required to register their qualifications on eCredential
This position is subject to a Police Check.
We value our staff and provide a range of employee benefits including:
- Great salary packaging conditions.
- Excellent leave entitlements.
- Post-graduate scholarship programs.
- Ongoing training and full orientation.
- Comprehensive Health and Wellbeing Programs including Employee Assistance Programs.
About the organisation
Port Phillip Prison
Forensicare is the statutory agency responsible for the provision of adult forensic mental health services across Victoria, including specialist Forensic Mental Health (FMH) Services at Port Phillip Prison in St Paul’s Unit. St Paul’s Unit is a 30-bed psychosocial rehabilitation service that provides specialist, voluntary mental health care, treatment and therapeutic programs to prisoners with a diagnosed mental illness. Participants selected for the program require psychosocial rehabilitation to minimise risk of relapse and enhance their social functioning in preparation for returning to general prison environment or release to community.
Forensicare is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to attracting and developing a diverse workforce which reflects the community we serve. We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people who identify as LGBTQI, people with a lived experience of disability, as well as people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Forensicare promotes the following values: responsiveness, integrity, impartiality, accountability, respect and leadership; and promotes behaviours that are consistent with these values at all times. Forensicare is an equal opportunity employer and offers a smoke free environment.
How to apply
Please click the Apply Now button to send an application.
Please quote in application: Occupational Therapist via Pro Bono Australia.