About the role
GetUp is looking for a Senior Organiser to work closely with the Organising Director and lead our Organising team to build and support a distributed network of thousands of GetUp members and volunteers around Australia and drive progressive change.
SCHADS Classification Level 5-6. Salary range is $84,854.12 – $96,794.88 per annum (pro-rata) + superannuation, determined by relevant experience and qualifications.
This is a permanent contract ideally based in Sydney.
At GetUp, we know our capacity to drive progressive change is increased when our team has a diversity of backgrounds and experience. We are always actively looking for applicants from a diverse range of genders, cultures, language groups, abilities, and experiences to apply.
Working at GetUp Means
- 6 weeks of leave per year;
- flexible working arrangements;
- learning and development opportunities;
- travel opportunities;
- a culture of innovation and experimentation; and
- a workplace where your skills will result in real world change
Who is the Organising Team
The GetUp Organising Team works across Australia to build and wield the people power to radically redefine what is politically possible. Our vision is a world that puts people and the planet first, with justice, dignity and equality for all.
Together, we develop and support a network of hundreds of volunteers, organising GetUp members and everyday people to change public opinion and shift political and corporate decision-makers.
Right now, our focus is on building an unstoppable movement of people fighting for climate justice. Our team is collaborative, creative and caring, with clear goals, accountability and emphasis on learning and impact.
The Senior Organiser will be responsible for:
- Working with the Organising Director to draft, devise and review organising campaign strategy in accordance with team goals and organisational strategy;
- Overseeing multiple layers of relationships that contribute to an impactful network of volunteers;
- Managing numerous organising staff to success, including setting and monitoring work outcomes as required;
- Leading on volunteer recruitment, retention, training and leadership development;
- Writing and reviewing high quality event materials, creative collateral and member communications;
- Ensuring custom systems and other data sources are correctly integrated;
- Representing GetUp in the community and media, and supporting engagement with external stakeholders;
- Contributing to a strong team culture of experimentation, innovation, evaluation and learning; and
- Leading from within the organising team to execute its strategy and meet its goals
You will be someone who is:
- Passionate about creating progressive change in Australia;
- Has a minimum of three years experience as an Organiser;
- Demonstrated knowledge of community organising theory;
- Demonstrated project management skills;
- Has excellent interpersonal skills and care deeply about supporting others to step up into leadership;
- Works autonomously on a range of varied tasks and projects, and takes the initiative doing whatever it takes to get the job done;
- A team player who thrives in an extremely fast-paced team environment; and
- Are nimble with a can-do attitude and come up with creative solutions to tricky situations;
Bonus points for:
- Management experience;
- Experience developing and leading campaign strategy;
- Experience establishing and working with organising technology to engage people at scale – eg. calling and door-knocking technology, P2P texting software, NationBuilder;
- Prior experience writing GetUp-style email communications, and experience training and managing volunteers using online platforms e.g. Facebook groups and Slack; and
- Are excited about technological innovations and finding new ways to increase impact
If even a couple of these criteria speak to you, you could be the perfect person for the job. Formal education, qualifications and extensive experience matter less to us than excellence, initiative and drive.
Applications close 9am Friday 27th August 2021.
About the organisation
What is GetUp
The GetUp movement is powered by the values and hopes of one million members, movement partners and a central team of expert strategists. Working together, we have an extraordinary impact.
We focus our campaigns on the areas our members care about most in the fields of Environmental Justice, Human Rights, Economic Fairness and Democratic Integrity. From making sure hundreds of thousands of people are able to vote in elections, to successfully stopping major projects threatening the Great Barrier Reef, or securing billions of dollars in new funding for mental health – we have a decade-long history of taking on powerful interests, and winning.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Senior Organiser via Pro Bono Australia.