About the role
Catchment Youth Refuge is committed to providing emergency and short-term accommodation with team case management support to the most disadvantaged and vulnerable homeless young people. Refuge staff members adhere to the highest professional and ethical standards in performing their duties and responsibilities. Through our culturally sensitive, in a safe and nurturing environment we seek to empower young people. We are committed to providing a non-institutionalized approach of keeping the decisions in the hands of the people that are affected by them and allowing them make choices. Refuge workers will also provide outreach support to young people, particularly young people who have left the refuge. The refuge is committed to continuous quality improvement.
The core functions of the casual Youth Refuge Worker are:
- To provide a safe and supported emergency and short-term accommodation 24/7 facility for young people, including parents (and their children) aged 16-25 years old.
- To actively facilitate the smooth running of the refuge as an accommodation setting, including engaging young people in the daily running and routine of the refuge to build their independent living skills.
- To undertake assessment of young people’s support needs around homelessness.
- To provide team case management support to young people (and their children) in the refuge and outreach. Case management is includes providing support to the children of young parents.
- Make appropriate referrals to specialist and universal services to address the young person’s support that minimise the impact of homelessness and prevent the cycle of homelessness through early intervention strategies.
- To build resilience and interdependence of young people through an empowering, inclusive and holistic case management approach that addresses both their immediate and longer term support goals
- Support young people to link to education, skills development, vocational training and employment opportunities.
- To actively participate in identifying pathways out of the refuge and accepting new referrals.
- To use a holistic approach to youth homelessness in the recognition that youth homelessness encompasses a wide range of issues that extend beyond accommodation, such as health, family breakdown, violence and life trauma.
About the organisation
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Youth Refuge Worker – casual via Pro Bono Australia.