About the role
The Lawyer plays a vital role in delivering a range of legal services to community organisations as a part of the Not-for-profit Law team. Key focus areas of this role are the delivery of practical training and plain language legal advice to volunteer-involving community organisations.
- Develop and deliver legal training (face-to-face and via technology) for not-for-profit organisations on a range of legal and governance topics (including travelling interstate and/or to regional areas as required, subject to COVID-19 restrictions) as well as professional development events for lawyers in relevant areas of law.
- In collaboration with the Not-for-profit Law Manager of Training and Enterprise and the Senior Lawyer – Training, project manage entrepreneurial initiatives such as new and innovative service offerings, and customer acquisition and engagement plans.
- Provide legal advice services to not-for-profit organisations including:
- triaging of enquiries from not-for-profit organisations (including assessment of matters eligible for pro bono assistance)
- provision of legal advice and information to eligible community organisations
- facilitation of referrals to Justice Connect members and barristers
- Work with not-for-profit clients on a project basis to review and develop policy documents and legal resources and provide other legal services.
- Contribute to the development and revision of plain language resources and self-help tools for community organisations, such as fact sheets, guides and online applications.
- Escalate risk and legal practice management issues to the Principal Lawyer or Manager.
- Undertake legal research and analysis around relevant policy and law reform issues affecting the not-for-profit/for-purpose sector and provide input into advocacy activities.
- Participate in the promotion of Not-for-profit Law’s services, including contributing to internal and external publications and representing Not-for-profit Law and Justice Connect more broadly in a range of public forums.
- As part of the Justice Connect team, develop and maintain collaborative relationships with key stakeholders and partners, in particular, existing support networks for not-for-profits, Justice Connect member law firms, regulators and funders.
- Assist with governance, reporting and evaluation requirements, including reports for the Justice Connect Board and funder acquittals.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of Not-for-profit Law as a unique, specialist legal service for the community sector across Australia.
- Contribute to Justice Connect’s Reconciliation Action Plan activities.
- Contribute to program and organisation-wide projects.
- Please view attached PDF for information regarding the selection criteria.
About the organisation
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join one of Australia’s most successful public interest and social justice organisations. In the face of rising levels of unmet legal need, Justice Connect designs and delivers high impact interventions to increase access to legal support and progress social justice.
We are committed to taking an impact-focused approach, applying research and design principles to develop our products and services to ensure they make a tangible difference for our clients and sector peers.
We deliver services that assist both people and community organisations. Those we assist often struggle to navigate the law, are unable to use the law in their daily lives and experience the impacts of harsh and unjust laws. We aim to prevent and to solve legal problems so that we can prevent the negative impacts on people’s lives and organisations and empower the community to use the law as a force for good.
Given the scale of the challenges we address, we use digital innovation to extend our reach and impact, supporting us to be more efficient and accessible, while helping us capture and use data to better understand legal need and underlying systemic issues.
We harness the extraordinary pro bono contributions of over 50 member firms and the barristers we work with across the country. We channel pro bono effort through our innovative service models to ensure that pro bono hours deliver real impact for the community.
We develop strategic interventions to help address the system-level drivers of legal problems and barriers people face when engaging with the legal system. By addressing root causes of flawed or unfair laws and poorly designed systems, we prevent the long-term challenges that people and organisations continue to face.
Our creative and passionate staff drive us forward with a commitment to evaluation and iteration that ensures our impact increases year on year.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Lawyer, Not-for-profit Law via Pro Bono Australia.