About the organisation
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join one of Australia’s most successful public interest and social justice organisations. In the face of rising levels of unmet legal need, Justice Connect designs and delivers high impact interventions to increase access to legal support and progress social justice.
We are committed to taking an impact-focused approach, applying research and design principles to develop our products and services to ensure they make a tangible difference for our clients and sector peers. We deliver services that assist both people and community organisations. Those we assist often struggle to navigate the law, are unable to use the law in their daily lives and experience the impacts of harsh and unjust laws. We aim to prevent and to solve legal problems so that we can prevent the negative impacts on people’s lives and organisations and empower the community to use the law as a force for good.
Given the scale of the challenges we address, we use digital innovation to extend our reach and impact, supporting us to be more efficient and accessible, while helping us capture and use data to better understand legal need and underlying systemic issues. We harness the extraordinary pro bono contributions of over 50 member firms and the barristers we work with across the country. We channel pro bono effort through our innovative service models to ensure that pro bono hours deliver real impact for the community.
We develop strategic interventions to help address the system-level drivers of legal problems and barriers people face when engaging with the legal system. By addressing root causes of flawed or unfair laws and poorly designed systems, we prevent the long-term challenges that people and organisations continue to face.
Our creative and passionate staff drive us forward with a commitment to evaluation and iteration that ensures our impact increases year on year.
About the role
The Policy and Advocacy Lead, Homeless Law will play a key role in developing and delivering impactful systemic advocacy and strategic engagement work, particularly focussed on progressing social justice for people experiencing or at risk of homelessness.
1. Policy and law reform
- Together with the Homeless Law Senior Project Lawyer and the wider Homeless Law team, utilise data, project learnings and insights from client experience to identify systemic issues and pursue opportunities to reform laws, policies and practices.
- Contribute to the development of submissions, reports, media releases and communications strategy, working collaboratively with Justice Connect’s Homeless Law and Engagement teams.
- Together with the Homeless Law Manager, Advocacy and Projects (and Head of Engagement), develop and implement advocacy and engagement strategies.
2. Stakeholder and cross-sector engagement
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with key stakeholders of Homeless Law, with a view to achieving collective systemic change.
• Together with the Homeless Law Manager, Advocacy and Projects, develop and maintain effective relationships with government, industry and relevant agencies.
- Support and participate in sector-wide collaborative advocacy and engagement to progress priority policy outcomes in the legal assistance and community sectors.
- Support Homeless Law pro bono law firm partners to engage in policy and research projects.
3. Reporting and evaluation
- Together with Homeless Law Manager Advocacy and Projects, Homeless Law Senior Project Lawyer (and Measurement, Evaluation and Learning Lead), help develop and implement measuring, evaluation and learning related to Homeless Law’s advocacy and strategic engagement activities.
- Help with the governance, reporting and evaluation requirements of Homeless Law, including reports for the Justice Connect Board and external funders
4. Organisational collaboration
- Participate in Justice Connect’s Strategic Engagement Program and work across Justice Connect teams to identify systemic issues and opportunities for collaboration
- Contribute to organisational and Homeless Law strategic planning, including service design, projects and partnership development
- Contribute to Justice Connect’s Reconciliation Action Plan activities.
- Assist with Justice Connect’s organisation-wide projects and processes as necessary.
- Perform other duties as directed and necessary to the proper performance of the role.
- Please view the attached PDF for information regarding the selection criteria.
Justice Connect offers employment benefits including salary packaging (making part of your salary tax-free), flexible working arrangements, above award annual leave provisions and opportunities for professional development. Justice Connect is an organisation that strives to show leadership, operate sustainably and demonstrate our effectiveness. You will be rewarded with a workplace culture that is professional, committed, collaborative and creative and where you can make a real difference through your work.
How to apply
The application process is as follows:
- Applications should be addressed to Samantha Sowerwine, A/Head of Community Programs and Manager Advocacy and Projects, Homeless Law and should comprise a cover letter, your resume, and a succinct statement outlining your suitability for the role with reference to the selection criteria.
- Applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org as a single word or PDF file including “Policy and Advocacy Lead, Homeless Law” in the email subject line.
- Applications close at 9:00am on Monday 31 January 2022
We know our team and our organisation is stronger with a diversity of backgrounds and experience, including lived experience of the issues we work on. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people of colour, people from culturally and linguistically diverse and refugee backgrounds, people with diverse religious beliefs, gender diverse people, LGBTIQ+ people and people living with a disability are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please quote in application: Policy and Advocacy Lead via Pro Bono Australia.