About the organisation
Australian Communications Consumer Action Network, ACCAN, is a not-for-profit organisation and Australia’s peak body representing the interests of all consumers on communications issues. ACCAN is an important voice promoting communications services that are trusted, inclusive, accessible and available for all Australians.
About the role
- Leadership role implementing the Board-approved strategic plan
- Stakeholder engagement and public policy focus
- Hybrid work environment – flexible location (Sydney, Melbourne or Canberra)
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Deputy Chief Executive Officer (DCEO) is accountable for leading ACCAN’s policy, membership, and stakeholder engagement functions. The DCEO will also work closely with the CEO to advance the strategic direction of the organisation as consumer needs and expectations evolve in an increasingly complex communications environment.
Additionally, the position:
- Assists the CEO with strategic issues management with key ACCAN stakeholders.
- Guides staff to deliver the ACCAN Board directed goals and objectives across the designated organisation functions.
- Monitors ACCAN’s performance against the policy, membership and stakeholder representation elements of the strategic plan and works with staff to achieve objectives.
- Identifies and secures additional revenue sources and oversees the attraction and retention of members, engagement, and growth initiatives.
As well as providing leadership and coaching to staff, the DCEO works in partnership with other internal and external stakeholders to ensure the organisation’s consumer objectives are met.
It is essential that you can demonstrate competence in the following:
- A thorough understanding of communications policy issues
- A commitment to the effective representation of the interests of consumers
- Knowledge of public policy and industry regulatory processes
- Effective leadership of a policy and/or research team
- High level oral and written communications skills
- Ability to build constructive relationships with a range of people across industry, government, and consumer/community organisations
- Team player able to challenge constructively, be consultative, and show leadership
Ideally you will also have:
- Appropriate tertiary qualifications in a relevant discipline such as Economics, Law, Public Policy, Social Science, or equivalent experience.
- Media liaison and interview experience
- Experience in securing sponsorships for NFP events
- Experience developing membership engagement and strategy within a membership-based organisation
- Familiarity with and understanding of the needs of people with disabilities
- Familiarity with and understanding of the needs of First Nations peoples
What ACCAN offers
ACCAN offers an attractive remuneration package in line with industry and reflective of the seniority of the role and your knowledge and experience. Besides a competitive salary, ACCAN supports work/life balance and operates in an inclusive, friendly, and professional work environment.
ACCAN is an EEO employer: First Nations peoples, persons with disabilities and people from culturally or linguistically diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: DEPUTY CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER via Pro Bono Australia.
Sector: #Community_Engagement, #IT_and_Communication_Technology