About the organisation
For more than 170 years, OzChild has been dedicated to supporting children, young people and families experiencing significant challenges. The largest provider of evidence-based programs in Australia, OzChild supports more than 10,000 children, young people and family members each year.
Click here to find out more about the program and how you learn more about the process.
About the role
We seek positive, upbeat individuals who enjoy working with young people within their communities.
- Do you want to be supported in the work that you do?
- Are you interested in a job where you can make a life-changing difference for a young person and their family?
- Does working from home interest you?
Not only would you be part of an amazing and supportive team, but you would be helping to sculpt a successful path for a young person who needs a structured and therapeutic environment.
In our internationally proven Treatment Foster Care Oregon (TFCO) program, we seek individuals or couples to become specialised foster carers. This program is achieving life-changing outcomes for young people, with graduates successfully improving their behaviours and engagement in education. Across OzChild’s six TFCO teams nationally, 80 children and young people have successfully graduated from the program and were reunified with family or been placed with caring long-term carers.
The program helps young people develop the needed skills to thrive at home, in school, and in the community.
- Be part of a transformative short-term treatment foster care team
- Care for a young person aged 7-17 in your own home
- Become a full-time carer, where the young person will stay with you 24/7 for approximately 9 months OR become a respite carer one weekend a month
- On completion of the program, the young person will be reunited with their families or identified as long-term foster carers
- Provide positive reinforcement for the young person in a home environment
- Receive comprehensive initial and ongoing training and guidance
- 24/7 on-call support, daily phone calls and weekly carer support meetings
- The approval process takes between 4-6 months and includes thorough screening processes and assessment interviews
- A generous tax-free allowance of $75,000 per annum ($6,250 per month) reflecting the complexity of the young person you will be caring for, and all living and entertainment expenses for the young person come out of this allowance
We are looking for individuals/couples who:
- Come from all different religions and backgrounds, young, old, with their own kids, without kids, empty nesters, everyone from the LGBTQIA+ community etc.
- Have a suitable living space, including a spare bedroom
- Can provide a loving and caring home and routine and pass on basic life skills
- Are willing to follow an exact program of care, be closely supervised and guided by the OzChild care team, which includes a therapist, skills coach, teacher and a supervisor
- Can mentor and have a good sense of humour
- Have a solid support network
- Are not working in any other capacity (casual work, running your own business etc.) as you must be available full-time to care for a child in the program. If you are applying as a couple, at least one person must not be working. Combining fostering with studying part-time is generally OK. Working full-time or part-time is fine if you are interested in becoming a respite carer.
- Have no children under three years old living in the home
- Live in our service area: click here to view the map
We want to hear from you if you are passionate about improving young people’s lives.
How to apply
To apply, click "Apply Now" and make an enquiry via the online form. Our team will contact you and send you more information.
We’re ready to hear from you now!
Please quote in application: Specialised Foster Carer – Melbourne via Pro Bono Australia.
Sector: #Children, #Community_Development, #Community_Engagement, #Community_Support_Services, #DomesticFamily_Violence, #Education_and_Training, #Families, #LGBTIQ, #Mental_Health, #Youth_and_Young_People